1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup cannot copy the file vga.dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xpress00, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpress00

xpress00 Thread Starter

I am reformatting and reinstalling Windows XP Home in my dell inspiron 600m and I got the following error during the installation:

Setup cannot copy the file vga.dll.

Anyone know how to fix it? What happens if I choose to ignore the warning and install the Windows anyway?

thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may be able to finish the installation without that file if another driver can be found for the display by setup. But the chances are that this is not the end and there will be more files. Give it a try and see what happens.

What is currently on the drive?

Make sure the CD is in good shape and clean.

3. xpress00

xpress00 Thread Starter

I was trying to do fresh installation. I got corrupted system file and then no boot sector and lastly error loading operating system. I tried to fix with fixmbr and fixboot but I think I overwrote the boot sector and the old partitions were lost so I just decided to delete them and start a fresh installation.

The CD is not scratched at all and I ran memtest86 last night. It did not find any error.

What could possibly cause this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!