1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup Cannot Find A Previous version of Windows Installed,

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HairyKiore, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HairyKiore

HairyKiore Thread Starter

Hi...I am working on a PC with a MS-6309 ATX VA5 mainboard /Pentium 3 CPU /one stick of 128 ram...
    it has one completely cleaned drive,a video card and a DVD drive (I have taken all other cards out)...I am using a Genuine XP disk with SP2 on it....
    When I press F8 to agree to the license terms ...I get this message < Setup cannot find a previous version of Windows installed on your computer ..To continue Setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product >

I have had the disk verified as a genuine version of XP by a local tech shop who told me that there is something on the Hard Drive that the install objects to ....I forgot to tell him I have tryed this on two different hard drives that have been completely zapped and wiped and get the same result with both..
    I would be grateful if anybody could help me with this problem ..Thanks

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

It sounds like you have an upgrade disk which either
    requires a previous version installed or an installation
    disk from a previous version for it to verify.
    You would need to put a windows 98/2000 or ME
    disk in the CD drive for it to verify.

3. hiyatran

hiyatran

If you have the licence can't you just call the manufacture and ask them to send you a copy

4. HairyKiore

Thanks for your Reply...This is my neighbours XP disk and its his computer I am working on ..I have used this disk previously doing a couple of re - installs for him ..I had no problems...This time I have.. so I first turned to a friend in another country vastly experienced in XP and by using phone contact we tried to install XP ...Now when we got the message ...he said its an upgrade disk ...I said its not ?? so next day I took it to a computer repair shop and they verified it as a genuine XP with SP2 disk... and they said there is something on the Hard Drive??? The disk objects too....Well I have tried two Hard Drives that have been cleaned with the same result..I am now beginning to think that maybe the MotherBoard itself is bad and its causing all my problems.HK

5. HairyKiore

The disk is in a folder in the Microsoft box...But I live in New Zealand and contacting them is like crashing through a brick wall...HK

6. srhoades

srhoades

A corrupt boot.ini will also produce that error. Boot the the recovery console and do a bootcfg /rebuild

7. HairyKiore

Hi.. Well it seems the disk owner thinking he bought a full version of Windows XP and the Local Tech were both wrong...I tried this disk in another reinstall on another computer and it did exactly the same after accepting the terms (F8) ..it asked for a full version of A Windows Disk ...so I apologise to those who have tried to help me for not ensuring I had all the facts and I also thank you for your help...HK

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/929461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice