1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setup cannot find hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ppollock, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

I have just purchased a Campaq Presario laptop v3607TU. It came with only "FreeDos" installed. If I boot up, it goes to the c prompt, and I can see call the directories on the hard drive.

I inserted my Windows XP bootable disk into the CD/DVD slot, and restarted. It booted from the CD, and the setup files begin to be read. Then I get a message that says, Setup cannot find any hard drives on your computer. The only option is F3 QUIT.

Any helps available?

Thanks
    Paul

2. zabusant

zabusant

Do you perhaps need SATA drivers?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

4. zabusant

zabusant

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Great. That's why I pointed them to the manufacturer's location on the web where they can download the XP Drivers. Hopefully that will provide the solution. Note - No SATA drivers are listed there.

---

Searched the Internet and finally found one site that shows it as a SATA drive. But again, no SATA drivers are listed on the manufacturer's web site.

6. zabusant

zabusant

Yes, I didn't find any drivers on that page either - I think it's because we're looking for XP drivers and this laptop doesn't come with XP - hence only the minimal support:)

Anyway, ppollock, have a look through the documentation that came with your PC - there should be more specifics on the hard drive. Then go to the support page of either the HDD or the motherboard manufacturer and look for SATA drivers. Or if you post more info on the HDD, I'm sure we can help you find the correct ones:)

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It is curious though that you can boot to a version of DOS and access the hard drive but XP doesn't recognize it.

8. anand1

anand1

Try to go into the BIOS setup and look if any HDD is being detected or not? This will show you that the Setup is really not able to find a HDD or anything else..Look into BIOS setup and then post further.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To confirm, the computer does recognize the hard drive and you can access from DOS?

"It came with only "FreeDos" installed. If I boot up, it goes to the c prompt, and I can see call the directories on the hard drive."

10. anand1

anand1

Why not insert the CD in DOS and run the setup from the DOS. It might work.We can try it.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you want to try that, you will need the 16-bit drivers for the version of DOS you have to access the CD with the appropriate lines in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files entered.

When you boot to DOS, and to a DIR, how much free space is listed.

12. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

Thanks for all this help. But I could not get anything to work, and could not find even the drivers on the homepage of HP or compaq. So I took it to the IT City nearby, and they did everything for me. They had the Windows installation that worked; and all the drivers from compaq for this model (which they made a copy of and gave m). At ;last the computer works fine!
    Paul

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/659544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice