1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AAJJAY, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAJJAY

AAJJAY Thread Starter

I have a major problem here. Could someone help me out.

My laptop:

T60 IBM LENOVO Thinkpad (no biometrics)
    CPU type Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 cpu T7200
    CPU speed 2.00GHz
    100gbs
    serial ATA (SATA) AHCI mode

I tried to reformat my XP Home sp3 to XP PRO sp2. So obviously I cant not back track from sp3 to sp2 because windows wont let you. I tried formatting through the OS itself didnt work, tried from the boot up didnt work.

so I thought i was smart, let me deleted the partition and erase everything on it with a DBAN CD i have
    to clean out the Harddrive completely so i could install my windows.

but i got this boot msg show up: "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

so i went on a forum and tried " http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...d-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/ " their method.

I tried to make a boot ISO CD for my laptop with another computer(Win 7 home i5 (dad's comp)). but i'm stuck. I couldn't find a 64-bit driver XP driver for my computers specs. the intel website and manufacture don't have it on their website. and I dont have a the backup CD for XP home.

what should i do. please help. Thanks a-million.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You have no XP CD? How did you plan to reinstall Windows? (Wiping is only a good idea if you don't plan to use the drive again. It has destroyed some drives before so they couldn't be used.) Do you have XP or not? It's not too clear from your post.

If you have a SATA drive, you need to use a workaround. XP is too old to support a lot of modern hardware.

Installing XP on a SATA drive
    Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy
    Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

"Many newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the BIOS and check the 'Sata Operation' setting, change it to 'Raid Autodetect/ATA' if it is not already. Now try to install XP (Verbiage will vary by manufacturer)" - Courtesy of simpswr.

BIOS settings to try:

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I also have a lenovo t60 laptop. Mine however came with the fingerprint reader (biometrics)option.But thats neither here nor there at the moment.If you want to put in windows xp pro you first will need to purchase a legit copy of windows xp pro with SP3 with a valid COA sticker as SP2 is no longer supported.The 32 bit version will be just fine.I have windows xp pro SP3 with the 32 bit version in mine with no problems.To run windows xp properly you will have to go into the BIOS which on a lenovo is by hitting F1 and changing the setup to ATA,SATA,IDE, or Compatable.And then on the boot order make sure its set to boot from a cd.To get the correct drivers you will need go to the lenovo website look under support drivers and downloads for that model of computer.Theres quite a few xp drivers listed download and save them all to a cd so you will have them in the future.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice