1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by silverseed71, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverseed71

silverseed71 Thread Starter

I bought a used laptop and the guy I bought it from told me he formatted the HD to get rid of his stuff. I was fine with that. Now, when I put my XP Pro in to install I get that message when I click to install the disk (on the screen where it asks to install, repair, or exit). I have had this before. I went to BIOS and I could not find a place to change the HD type. I plugged the HD into my desktop external enclosure and it assigned to J: and I was able to see it. It was in FAT32 format and I changed it to NTFS just to see, but it is giving the same error.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If it is a sata hard drive,you probably need to
    press F6 when prompted and then load sata drivers
    from a floppy disk when prompted.
    You should be able to get the drivers from the manufacturers website.
    If the computer doesn't have a floppy drive,you might do a websearch on
    slipstreaming drivers into xp and make a new install disk.

3. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

If its a Dell, I think there is a setting you can use in BIOS for the H.D.

"Well with these newer Dells you have the option to go in to the BIOS and change in what mode the SATA controller operates. You should see options for ATA mode / AHCI mode and RAID mode. By selecting the ATA mode you can use the drivers already supplied by default on the Windows XP CD, once you get it installed you can use the Windows Device Manager to update the drivers to the AHCI ones. Below are the detailed instructions on how to install the AHCI driver once you have Windows installed by changing the SATA controller to ATA mode."

Fish around using this info, I think either that or you need to slipstream the sata drivers.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should make sure that drivers for the hardware exist. If XP is too old, you will have problems since laptops use a lot of proprietary drivers.

Installing XP on a SATA drive
    Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy
    Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

"Many newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the BIOS and check the 'Sata Operation' setting, change it to 'Raid Autodetect/ATA' if it is not already. Now try to install XP (Verbiage will vary by manufacturer)" - Courtesy of simpswr.

BIOS settings to try:

5. silverseed71

silverseed71 Thread Starter

It's a Toshiba. I think I am going to get my money back. It doesn't want to cut on sometimes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice