1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drbeattie, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drbeattie

drbeattie Thread Starter

I have a major problem with my Packard Bell iMedia D815AW home desktop. Ever since I installed a Lite-On DVD-RW into it, it started making a lot of noise (a bit like the sound of a typewriter tapping) and started crashing. I removed the DVD-RW drive, only for the problem to continue. The computer kept crashing (often showing the blue crash screen, other times showing a black 'insert floppy disk' screen, sometimes just restarting itself). Running the Windows disk check utility at start-up would not work - the computer would freeze while the disk scan occured (I tried many times). I ran disk registery programs (ie- Registry Mechanic, etc), anti-virus software, defragmentation, etc. etc. but the problem remained. Yesterday, I decided I would try reinstalling (or restoring?) Windows XP again (with the intention of fixing the problem without deleting my personal files on the computer). However, upon instertion of the disk, Windows XP claimed it could not reinstall, as the Windows version on my computer was too recent. I assumed that the reason for this was that I had installed Windows XP Serice Pack 2 and so the version was too recent for the installation disk. So, I thought I would uninstall service pack 2 and then try to reinstall Windows XP. However, while uninstalling service pack 2, the computer crashed. Since then, whenever I try to startup Windows, the computer restarts after about 30 seconds of loading. I can enter the startup screen which gives you access to entering through Safe Mode, Debugging, etc - however entering through these modes has the same problem though with the computer restarting before reaching Windows. So, I entered the computer BIOS at startup and changed it to load via CD, inserting the Windows XP disk. I tried to use the 'Recovery Console' option, however the error message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" showed. It then asked me to restart the computer by hitting F3. I then tried to use the Windows install option by restarting the computer and loading the Windows XP disk, but the same "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" message showed. So, i cant load the computer, nor reinstall the software. I dont want to lose all the files on my computer. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I do not have any repair or installation floppy disks for my computer at the moment. Further specs to the computer are as follows:
    Packard Bell iMedia D815AW (Model MON-DIS)
    Pentium 4 1.5Ghz
    Mextor D540X-4K 40GB Hard Drive

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Pull the drive from your system and slave it to the system you are using now; attempt to copy whatever you want and burn it to a cdr / dvdr.

Now reinstall the drive and use the drive mfg utility for checking the drive. I would think you have a failing hd. Installing the dvd drive probably had nothing to do with the problem since it continued after you disconnected the drive.

If the maxtor utility finds that the disk is ok, then you can have the utility zero file the drive and do a clean install of the os. Install your apps and copy your data files back over.

Just a reminder data you do not back up, is data you do not care about. It is not a question of if your hd will fail, it is a question of when it will fail.

3. drbeattie

drbeattie Thread Starter

How do you run mfg utility?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You download it from maxtor's site. You can download a CD image or a floppy. Run the download and it will make a bootable disk for you. Restart the system with the disk in the drive and run the diagnostic.

Check the web site, it should have detailed instructions.

5. drbeattie

drbeattie Thread Starter

I have just slaved the Maxtor HD from the busted computer to the computer I am currently using. The computer started fine, recognising the drive as being a Maxtor hard drive during start-up, however now that I am in Windows, I cannot access the drive. I recieved a message stating "D:/ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O error." Back to square one.... Any ideas on where to go from here??? Thanks for help thus far.

6. drbeattie

drbeattie Thread Starter

I should also say that the host computer I slaved the drive to does not have an additional IDE cable - it only has one for the original HD, one for a cd or dvd drive and one for the floppy disk drive. Thus, I cannot change the connector to another IDE cable. PLEASE HELP!!!

7. drbeattie

drbeattie Thread Starter

ok - so i took out the Maxtor hard drive from the computer I am using, to replace it with the DVD-RW that was already installed on this different computer to the one which is broken. I reinstalled the DVD-RW, however now it wont eject (I wanted to burn a copy of the Maxtor mfg program to run a disk scan on the old, broke computer and its Maxtor drive). So now I cannot even burn a copy of the diagnostic disk to help fix the Maxtor HD! Oh boy............

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Check your jumpers and connections. You probably have something loose or a jumper is not set correctly.

BTW each ide channel will support two devices; you will need to get a cable with a master and slave connection in order to do this.

9. drbeattie

drbeattie Thread Starter

the IDE Cables are firmly in place. I have tried switching the jumper from S to C, but it makes no difference. any ideas?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are going to have to run the maxtor utility on the drive. If you cannot use the dvd burner, then you will have to use a floppy. I would think your hd has failed, however it does not hurt to check it with the maxtor software.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/424729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice