1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer..." ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeonFelpz6, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeonFelpz6

LeonFelpz6 Thread Starter

I just bought a new DVD Burner but figured it wasnt TOO tough to install...I am less than skilled at this stuff but the guy at Best Buy basically said it wasnt hard and it could be done no problem...

So i opened a relatively older (about 4-5 years ) tower, unscrewed the cd drive i wanted to take out and then slid the new dvd burner in its place, plugged in the necessary wires and i thought i was in business...

turns out for whatever reason i couldnt see the drive when i went to "my computer" so i thought that maybe i plugged in the wrong wire...i un plugged one, plugged in another that was hanging down and then my computer just shut off...

now i am getting message thats telling me "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

am i dealing strictly with a problem where i have the wrong things plugged in? or did i fry my hard drive?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

I don't think you fried your system. I think you might have loosened some cables on the HD and I think it's possible you've got the cables turned around. Pay specific attention to the cables and the red line that runs down the one side of it. In general that red line needs to closest to the PSU or power supply plug and the blank side away from. Then pay strict attention to the red line and make sure both Hard Drive and CDrom are running on the same side in the motherboard and they are connected correctly. Replug your PSU to each of them making certain they are tight.
    Make sure the little jumpers in your CDrom are correctly as well. Read the paper work that came with it and set the jumper to correlation with second primary. In other words if both cdrom and hard drive connect directly into the motherboard both are considered primary IDEs 1 and 2. Once your done and if I haven't given you any mis information let us know what happening. Jazz

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you were plugging/unplugging with the system ON, there is a good chance you have fried something. The only devices you can plug/unplug while running are those made to do so; ie usb or hot swap drives.

Have you opened the case and reseated ALL connections?

4. LeonFelpz6

I have no idea what the hard drive even looks like to be honest...i feel dumb so you're gonna have to bare with me...

If it means anything i am accessing this forum via another computer...is there any way to simply restore the computer back to how it was when i first got it without any diskettes or anything?

5. LeonFelpz6

yes i DID unplug a plug while the system was on....

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, from your posts I assume you are not too computer savvy and or mechanically inclined. I would get a computer savvy friend to accomplish this procedure.

1 Pull pw connectors from ALL drives both hd and optical.
    2 Disconnect any usb type devices
    3 Pull any add-in cards except the video card
    4 Clear cmos with the clear jumper; replace jumper to keep position.

Now attempt to pw ON the system and see if it will post. If it does, shutdown and connect devices one at a time. If it does not post in the above condition, you will need to swap parts with known good units ie pw supply, motherboard, ram, video card, cpu.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!