1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by singledadinia, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singledadinia

singledadinia Thread Starter

I could use some expert help.

I have a Gateway M255-E laptop that all of the sudden just won't boot up. This laptop has all of its original equipment and has never been opened up or upgraded. I have XP OEM Operating CD that came with the laptop, so I inserted it and got the dreaded "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" message. After doing a lot of reading it appears I might need to install the SATA driver. This is what I have done so far, and I am stuck on step 3.

1. Downloaded the Hitachi HD utility from their website. Ran it, found bad sectors, fixed that and
    then erased the drive. Reran the utility and all is ok with the drive
    2. Put in new Ram
    3. ATTEMPTED to integrate SATA drive into installation process using nLite because this laptop has no floppy drive. I am failing miserably at this. I downloaded the SATA driver from Gateways website.
    image 1 Inside of the SATA_Intel_5 folder is all of this... image 2

I followed the directions on how to do this here...http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml Got the ISO file made and burnt it to disk and inserted it into laptop, rebooted and nothing. Blinking cursor. I do not know if I did this process correctly. I inserted the XP OEM cd and used the cd drive destination as the location for the Windows installation package. I made a new folder for the installation files to be saved to and nLite copied these image 3 installation files to the folder I created. The next step is to integrate the SATA driver into the install files so I selected the SATA_Intel_5 folder image 1 as the path to the driver and finished the process with no issues. The question is...Where is the driver in this folder? image 2 Did I select the wrong thing or am i so far off base I am lost?
    image 1.JPG

image 2.JPG

image 3.JPG

2. singledadinia

singledadinia Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice