1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iickynicky, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iickynicky

iickynicky Thread Starter

I'm trying to reinstall windows xp on a dell xps 400 desktop. When I put the cd in I press any key to boot from cd windows loads and then when I hit enter to enter installtion, it says "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer". I don't know what to do. Anybody know how I can install windows? Usually its simple and I delete the old partition and create new but this doesn't seem to be the case this time.

2. abcdjzmcbt

abcdjzmcbt

You may just need to get sata drivers for your sata controller and hit F6 during the CD load to load them from a floppy. I assume it's a sata drive...

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

How old is the hard drive and are you sure the drive is good?

4. iickynicky

yeah the hard drive is good but like the computer isn't that old. Theres no floppy drive in the xps. Could I download the driver and use a flash drive to install?

5. sg09

sg09

I think, the junctions connecting the hard drive became loose. you can open the cabinet, and check whether these are properly connected, if connected, you can do the following, just disconnect and then again connect those junctions [Don't be scared to do that :) ]. i think it will resolve the problem.

6. merrowind

merrowind

Worst case scenario:
    If it`s not the above mentioned hardware fail, if you don`t have the chance to install the necessary drivers via floppy drive, then
    disconnect the target hard drive,
    connect it to another computer
    and install the OS.
    Afterwards simply connect it back, boot, and rot, while you set it up. ^^

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

That isn't going to work as the hardware is different....sometimes it might work if you boot back to cd and then choose second "R" for XP Repair after installing from other pc though.

8. abcdjzmcbt

abcdjzmcbt

But the setup would need to detect the drive before it can repair it anyway :p

*edit btw does it show in your BIOS setup?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

It would if you had the OS on the drive.

10. abcdjzmcbt

abcdjzmcbt

The only way to repair the OS is thru the OS cd in the 'dos environment'. Even if there is an OS on there, if the setup disc cant load drivers for the sata controller card it wont see the drive even if you fully installed the OS. We both agree not to do it but just for different reasons. :)

11. bbearren

bbearren

Find out if it is in fact a SATA drive. There are only three (3) ways you can install XP on a SATA drive.

1. Install the specific SATA drivers for your motherboard from a floppy disk early in the installation when asked to press F6 to install SCSI or other special drivers.

2. If your motherboard supports PATA mode through the SATA connectors, select the appropriate settings in BIOS. Note that you will not be running in SATA mode using this method.

3. Slipstream the specific SATA drivers for your motherboard into your installation CD in the TEXTKMODE section. nLite is a great tool for this.

12. bbearren

bbearren

Not true. Windows can do a repair/reinstall through the installation environment.

But it won't do it on a SATA drive without SATA drivers. The idea of installing the OS by putting the hard drive in a different PC only makes sense if the different PC has a floppy drive, so that the SATA drivers can be installed.

And then it is not an easy task to get the installation to boot in the target PC. It takes lots of prep work beforehand.

Slipstreaming the drivers into the CD is a much simpler option.

13. abcdjzmcbt

abcdjzmcbt

Yea by 'dos environment' I meant the first phase of the installation. Of course there are 2 phases, the really generic text version setup (which I call dos I guess) that runs off the CD itself. Then there is the second phase when it runs off of the setup files on the hard drive and installs with the aid of the CD. But I do agree with you.

Sorry iickynicky for getting off topic :D

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

No, setup will only load the SATA drivers from a Floppy disk. You'll have to slipstream them into a new CD to use.
    As bbearren has said
    With out a floppy drive, that leaves two, changing the BIOS setting or slipstreaming

Download the Intel Driver for your system from the download page for your system. It's listed under the SATA Drives section, file named R130118.exe.
    Double click the file to extract the drivers. Note the folder name that the files are extracted to.
    Follow this guide to slipstream the drivers and the latest Service Pack if your Windows XP disk doesn't include it.
    Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy (F6)
    When adding the drivers, where it says Select the containing directory and click next, select the folder you put the driver files into above.

While it's very easy to connect the drive to a different PC, start the install, move the drive back, and finish the install, you'd still need the SATA drivers slipstreamed into the disk for that method to work as that method uses winnt32.exe and switches to pause the install so you can move the drive back. Winnt32.exe only works when already booted into Windows, and does not prompt for new drivers.

15. iickynicky

So how am I able to do this? I have my very own desktop so I would have to plug in the hard drive into my desktop and install through there?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice