1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setup does not copy files needed for Win

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jonlp, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonlp

jonlp Thread Starter

I am attempting to reinstall Windows 98SE, but when I get to the point where it says:

Please wait while setup initializes.
    Scanning system registry...
    Copying files needed for Windows Setup...

it goes no further. No copying. No nothing.

I had earlier problems with the registry getting into a loop, so I gave up and used fdisk to wipe out the C drive. I reformatted the drive, and all seemed well until I reached the above point. Most likely I left out something in the repartitioning, but I don't see where I goofed. Any ideas, folks?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I realize you had problems before your format- and you realize that something might have gone wrong during the format, so we are off to a good start...
    You used fdisk---- You have to reboot after you do this, then format.... You should select "Y" for enabling LBA and make the partition Active.
    If you left the partition(s) as is, you can still check them with a bootdisk....get to A:\
    and type just fdisk /status I think that will do it...if not, type fdisk hit enter as usual....then the number that corresponds to "Display partition information" and nothing else!
    I believe it is number 4... What it shows is the size of any partitions, the drive letter, and the Active usually C: drive....
    If only one Primary DOS partition, it should be fairly close but not exactly matching the size in Megabytes of your hard disk.
    If you have other partitions, that contain data files you need, you cannot resize your drives /partitions without losing data.
    So, be very careful- make sure you are working on the correct drive.
    Did Scandisk run just after you started setup?
    When you delete the partition(s) if you do, you of course need to format each one you make new....it will tell you this. Reboot when it says to....
    You can change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the CD itself, too. This sometimes helps. Also, copying the contents of the win 98 folder from the CD to drive C:, then running setup from C:\win98\setup can do the trick. First, though, perhaps clean the CD. If you have a laser lens cleaner disk, you can try that to clean the CD drive lens....
    Did you originally have to use a hard disk utility, that comes with large hard drives, to overcome any BIOS limits on drive sizes it can use? EZ Drive, MaxBlast, EZBIOS, anything like that from a floppy disk?

3. jonlp

jonlp Thread Starter

Sorry to be so slow in replying. I still have the problem, primarily due (I think) to not being able to reboot properly. I do not know how to reboot without turning off the power since there is no access to the START or RESTART key at that point. (Windows is not all there by then).

I can see most of what is happening, and yes, Scandisk ran fine.

I think everything worked properly except the rebooting. Have you a way to send the reboot data at the proper time?

Thanks again.

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    At any time, and in DOS also, you can reboot by using CTRL+ALT+DEL, but definitely use DOS and as byteman said, type in FDISK /STATUS to see what partitions/drives are being recognized

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice