1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setup error - win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Grizz, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grizz

Grizz Thread Starter

I decided to re install my win 98 ( CD ). I have done this a few times before without problems. I coppied my C:Windows folder to another folder ( to ensure i didn't lose important files ) and then followed the deltree process. I then installed with my CD ( through the floppy ) and it started okay and then after just starting an error message (SU 0168) came up telling me that" I still had an operating system installed which cannot be upgraded by this version of setup. You need to obtain the win 98 upgrade."
    This has not happended before. Solution anyone?

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Check to be sure you don't still have a Windows Folder on the drive.

3. Grizz

Grizz Thread Starter

checked that - no folder.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You deltreed. Instead, do a format of the drive and install. Unless you copied the windows folder into a folder on the same drive. If so, rename that and the windows folder too. If you Format, you lose everything. If that's the case, do you have another partition or a CD writer to salvage your information?

5. Grizz

Grizz Thread Starter

Copied the orginal windows folder into another folder ('tools'). Have done this often before without problems. Can't see how this causes the setup to detect an existing operating system still is present?

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I agree. It should be hidden. It is seeing something. But what?

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

what else is on the drive? I am going to go and do a little research.

8. Grizz

Grizz Thread Starter

Just normal stuff, office,themes, games, docs, etc. I looked up su 0168 on the MSKB and followed it but to no avail. I am starting to get concerned.

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

somewhere on your C Drive is a file which is telling the Disk that another OS is installed. Try doing a Dir on the drive to get a list of the files.

At the C prompt type dir

Is there a win.com or winver.exe present?

If so rename these or remove them.

10. Grizz

Grizz Thread Starter

neither there. The mskb talks about the setupx.dll file being incorrect and a file setupx.w95. It talks about putting these in C:Windows/system - bit silly when these have been deltreed?

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I agree with you. I have been looking for answers. So far, no luck. Maybe someone else will have something.

12. Grizz

Grizz Thread Starter

no one else seems interested or capable of solving the problem - which surprises me!

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Want to try something? Make a new folder and put all your files and folders from the C Drive into it. Then try to install from the CD. Use the boot floppy to start the computer. Accept CD support and change to the Cd Directory. Stqart setup. This is kind of like Formatting without formatting. Nothing on the drive should now interfere. Windows setup will install the system files on the drive for you. ALthough, if you like you can do a sys C:

14. Grizz

Grizz Thread Starter

where can I find the setupx.dll file on my cd?

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

First Edition or Second Edition?
    look in precopy2.cab in the win98 folder on the install CD

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice