1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup.exe issue

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Crazydelllaptop, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crazydelllaptop

Crazydelllaptop Thread Starter

Hi, I have just reformatted my dell Inspiron 8000 laptop and reinstalled the windows millennium software and all seemed ok until I tried to put the Sky broadband cd into my cd drive in order to get connected to the Internet. I have installed all the drivers with the drivers disc that came with the laptop but when I put in the Sky cd and try to run the set up file I get this message:
    The setup.exe file is linked to missing export user32.dll:setlayeredwindowsattributes
    I cannot connect to the Internet to download any program's to help me with this, so I am posting this issue on another computer. Can anyone please help?:confused

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The Sky software probably isn't compatible with Windows ME. Do you need it? What kind of modem do you have? If it's Ethernet, you don't need drivers for it.

Otherwise, call Sky and see what they support.

3. Crazydelllaptop

Thanks for getting back so quick. As I cannot connect to the Internet I thought I would have to run the Sky broadband cd to set it up. The laptop has a Lucent Win Moden, whatever that is. Do I not need this cd then. I have a wireless router and a netgear dongle which pick up the sky router but does not seem to connect. I am responding from my iPad which is connected to the router, so there is nothing wrong with the router. Please help as if I call sky, they just bounce me all over the place!

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The internal modem is a dial-up modem. Since you have broadband and a router, you need an Ethernet connection, and you do not use the Sky software. What is the "netgear dongle"? Is that a wireless network adapter? Did you install drivers for it? Are Windows ME drivers available for it?

5. Crazydelllaptop

Yes, it is a wireless adapter which I connect to the USB to pick up wireless signal as the laptop does not have it built in. I did install the driver for this adapter and appears to be working ok. I have tried to connect the laptop to the router with a Ethernet cable but still cannot seem to get connected?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice