1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup help with a Hp All in One

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharbear36, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharbear36

sharbear36 Thread Starter

Do I have to use the fax/printer/scanner/copier in the room with the router or is it possible to set it up with the computer that just has the network adapter? I don't want the fax machine in the other room but I don't want all the phone cords in this room, hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks
    Shari

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Which HP All-in-One are we talking about?

Do you want it near your computer?

3. sharbear36

Hp 4315 All in One. I would like it here with me on my desk but my computer is only connected to the adapter. I put the main router and everything in my daughters room because their were too many cords to walk over.

Shari

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm not sure why you are even mentioning netweorking it at all? The printer has a USB interface, just install it on your PC.

5. sharbear36

I don't know why I am either but all I know is if I don't plug in the fax/printer the internet works fine. When I plug the printer in, every time I get a phone call I can't go online or the connection gets lost. That shouldn't happen or am I missing something?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So thats when you have the phone line connected to the HP unit, right?

If your on DSL then you need to make sure the phone line filter is installed on the jack that the HP conencts too.

7. sharbear36

Yep, I have the dsl filter plugged in and it's still happening. I don't get it.

Shari

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. sharbear36

Yeah, tried that and their online thing keeps kicking me out. It clicks and clicks and then Boom, I'm out. So your baffled too? I don't get it, it shouldn't happen and the only thing I can think of is that there are 2 ports on the back of the fax. Line 1 and EXT. I think that somehow a phone cord needs to go from the EXT port to the router. They mentioned it online but they didn't understand that I had the adapter that doesn't have a phone connection.

shari

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm sure if I say it then it wouldn't be too hard to solve.

The router has nothing to do with the Fax machine. It also has nothing to do with your network. The HP unit is just like another phone plugged into a phone jack.

You must have a DSL filter on everything thats plugged into a phone jack, every phone, every answering machine, and every fax machine. The only thing that doesn't need the filter is the DSL modem.

Line is where the phone line froma jack connects to the fax, EXT is where you plug in a regular phone in, its just so you don't have to use a splitter.

How about calling HP? Toll free number.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. sharbear36

I'm thinking this may not work then from what it said because i have the connections right. I just picked up the phone and tried to stay online and I did. I don't know what I changed but now I don't know if I can get a fax? I need to have a fax so bad but I think my only option may be to get another phone line. I think I may call hp and see if they can send me a test fax?

Shari

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice