1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setup Home Network access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jnabney, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnabney

jnabney Thread Starter

I cannot transfer files from MY computer to HIS computer. MY computer says it does not have access to change files on HIS computer.
    FROM MY COMPUTER:
    I can only open and view them. I can open his files on MY computer and I can transfer files from HIS computer to MY computer, but I can only open a new folder in HIS 'shared folders' folder. I can transfer files to that folder, but not to any other folder.
    FROM HIS COMPUTER:
    I can open files from MY computer and I can transfer these files to HIS computer.
    I can transfer files from HIS computer to my computer and I can open New Folders on my computer.....
    i.e. I can do all the same stuff from HIS computer to MY computer as if I was working on MY computer, but I cannot do the same from My Computer to HIS ? I do not seem to have 'access'. [except for the Shared Documents folder]
    I think this is a question of configuration... ??? The settings for the Firewall are the same on both machines. It's just that my machine does not have access to change anything on his machine.
    I am totally bewildered. Please advise. Thanks.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I may not be able to provide an answer but it might help someone else here to help you if they knew the details of the operating systems on both computers (including service pack levels), exactly how the computers are connected to each other and exactly what firewall you are using.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    While on HIS computer right click on any folder to which you want to give write access (or the drive if you are sharing the entire drive), select 'Sharing and Security,' click on 'Allow network users to change my files.' These instructions are for Windows XP Home and XP Pro using SFS; probably a little different for some systems.

4. jnabney

jnabney Thread Starter

We are both using Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2.
    I have clicked on the folders on HIS computer and instituted 'file sharing'... but I had done that already.
    Any further suggestions are gratefully appreciated!

5. jnabney

jnabney Thread Starter

Actually I have just tried to alter the permissions to the folders on HIS machine and it has come up with an error and won't let me do this!.
    Apparently I cannot alter these settings on his machine?
    How can I change this please?
    Thanks. Janet

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you using Simple File Sharing?

7. jnabney

jnabney Thread Starter

Sorry, what is 'simple file sharing'? and how can I know if I am doing it?
    I am not very computer literate....grateful for all help.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With Simple File Sharing XP Pro works like XP Home--about the only permissions control you have is on the folder level and you essentially have 3 options--you don't share, you allow read access, or you allow both read and write access. You give write access per my post #3.

With Advanced or default File Sharing you have almost unlimited control on a per file basis over what users have what kind of access.

To determine what you are using open My Computer (Windows logo key + e) or any Windows Explorer window - Tools - Folder Options ... - View tab. Scroll to the bottom and see whether there is a check mark on 'Use simple file sharing (recommended).'

9. jnabney

jnabney Thread Starter

Thank you Terry for your very helpful contributions.
    I have managed to solve it [I'm not sure how, but I can achieve what I want which is to transfer files from one computer to the other without impediment!]
    So, one down .... onwards and upwards.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice