1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setup is restarting help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by willlfc2008, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willlfc2008

willlfc2008 Thread Starter

hi i have recently added another hard drive to my dell dimension 8300 and formatted both hard drives i tried to install windows xp home edition on my 40 gb hard drive and it lets me boot from the cd to start the installation then i get past the welcome to windows xp screen the 1 with the loading bar then i get a screen which says setup is restarting . . . . . then followed by a pale blue screen then it goes no further any body know whats up with my pc it is really stressing me out lol

any help would be appreciated thanks

2. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Try tapping F8 once a second after you hear the POST beep when you power up until you get the enhanced start options.
    Choose safe mode.
    If you can boot to safe mode, restart and use safe mode with networking and download the drivers for all your hardware.
    What you describe sounds like a problem with one of your hardware components not being fully compatible with the windows generic driver supplied on the install CD. The solution is to install the proper driver for the device.

Another possible cause is a single stick of RAM with slightly different specifications than the other sticks. While it may function correctly when all the drivers are loaded and windows is configured often a slight mismatch can cause setup to fail (it also may have been the cause of any crashes or troubles you had which led to your reinstall)
    Unplug the PC and open the case and remove all but one stick of ram. Close up and restart and try the install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!