1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup Laptop WiFi card with fastest link speed possible

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Charliem101, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charliem101

Charliem101 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have just bought a nvidia shield tablet (coming tomorrow) and I have setup my laptop to create an ad-hoc wireless network for it to join. The problem is although the wireless card in my laptop is a wireless AC card and supports up to 867mbps, the link speed I am getting with my phone (has a wireless AC card too) is only 72mbps.

Obviously I would like the connection to be as fast as possible to reduce any dropped frames or lag which may happen when using the gamestream function the shield has.

I know there are lots of advanced settings for the wireless card in windows and from what I've read I need to increase the band width for the 5Ghz spectrum to allow for the faster data rate but I am not entirely sure how to go about this.

Any assistance would be great, and if you think you know the appropriate settings I should use, maybe you could assist me.

Thanks,
    Charlie.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Welcome to TSG,

I've removed your request for remote assistance as this site is a public forum and see do not offer remote assistance, mainly and obviously for security and liability reasons.

Why do you want to use an AdHoc connection versus using a wireless router? A router would be the more suitable and reliable way to connect the Shield.

3. Charliem101

Thanks for your reply,

My thinking was that if I were to use a router, there would be wifi going from the laptop to the router and from the router to the shield which would require 2 wireless links, which I am assuming would mean more latency and a slower data rate than a single link from laptop to shield. Do you not think this would be the case?

Thanks,
    Charlie.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Adhoc networks should rarely be used in my opinion unless absolutely necessary. Are you sure that speed and latency are a big issue here? NVidia has been recommending N routers, G as minimum, for Shield so I don't think they are finding a big problem with a standard setup. They recommend you use 5Ghz for best results though. The data rate doesn't appear to be much of an issue if G connections are listed as the minimum but maybe the quality will be limited, latency would be a bigger issue but any high quality N or AC router with 5Ghz should be just fine. I don't know what speeds ad-hoc would get you with the Shield, but the Shield is only a Wireless-N device with up to 300Mbps using a 2x2 antenna configuration so AC is not required but it doesn't hurt and most AC hardware is faster and has more antennas.

NVidia also has a recommended list of routers here: http://shield.nvidia.com/accessories-hardware/

5. Charliem101

OK,

Used my router and my speed from laptop to router is 300mbps and phone to router is 150mbps, so I'll see how it goes when the shield tab arrives tomorrow!

Thanks for your help

6. Charliem101

Every 30 seconds (ish) Limelight (the gamestreaming clone for android devices) says I am having packet loss and so the frames drop considerably for about 3 seconds and then go back to being smooth.

Is there a way of fixing this problem, because apart from these sudden drops it is super smooth!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think I read a while back that was typical of Limelight, not sure if that has changed.

What router do you have by the way?

8. Charliem101

It's a pretty old router, the belkin play F7D4302

Apart from the packet loss, it works pretty well, even when connecting to different access points which aren't even dual band. Shield tab should be here soon, so will see if the real version of GameStream is any better at handling packet loss.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. Charliem101

I think I am on the latest version.

Anyway the shield arrived, it's a really nice tablet for the price.

Using the proper nvidia gamestream app I am getting no noticeable lag / packet loss, but then again it only runs at 720p 60fps.

Using limelight on the tablet though the "client side frame latency" is now only 6ms whereas on my phone it was ~50ms. Just a shame that I am still getting some packet loss for a few seconds.

Hopefully it's something the limelight team can improve, if not hopefully nvidia will release an update to their gamestream service to allow for streaming at 1080p 60fps. They allow it over ethernet, but what is the point of needing to plug your tablet into the router everytime you want to play?

Maybe there is a way of faking an ethernet connection on android when using WiFi like making a 3G connection seem to be a wifi connection.

Thanks again for your help.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I assume you mean for streaming to a TV as the screen on the Shield is only 720P.

12. Charliem101

The new shield tablet has a 1920x1200 screen.

Anyway games look great on the shield streamed from my PC, it is just a shame nvidia don't allow users to unlock the full capability of their device.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice