1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup was unable to find components...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beffan, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

Ok, here's my story. My computer had a whole bunch of viruses that Norton could not remove, plus tons of ad-ware that I just could not get rid of. So I reformatted and tried to install XP pro.

It will boot, but there is nothing on the screen. I have rebooted many times - sometimes it will be blank, or I will see my mouse (but it won't move), one I was able to move the mouse, but they the screen when weird (wide vertical lines weird), once I got nothing but a pretty purple screen (purple, not the blue screen of death).

So I can boot into safe mode - yay! And I can get to the Internet (obviously). I downloaded the drivers for the motherboard (FIC "VC11"), tried to install it and I got an error about not finding something or other. I forgot, and since I've reformatted again, I don't feel like downloading it again to get the message (it took a loooong time)

Ok, so I tried Window Update - Error number: 0x8007043C. It so happens that I can not run Windows update in safe mode. Sorry, I have no other options right now, m'kay.

So I downloaded the drivers for my video card (ATI RADEON VE DDR). When I tried to install that one, I got the error "Warning: Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software". (ok, this was a smaller file, so I downloaded it again).

I tried to get into the BIOS to see what I can see ... you know, press TAB when it says so during startup. XP says "I'm more important" and starts instead. So I can not get into the BIOS. (Ok, so that wasn't a real error message, I just think my computer is having attitude issues.)

So what can I do? I have reformatted before (with a different copy of Windows), but the disk was lost in the move. Same thing with the original mother board drivers cd - lost in da move.

I think I'll mention that the video card I am running is a PCI card. I know, I know, PCI ain't nuttin when it comes to gaming but, I HAD an AGP card, but the AGP slot on the mofo mobo was fried when I got it three years ago. Never worked since, but nothing else has crapped out.

I also have to hard drives. The Master (80g) is formatted and has XP on it. And the other (50g) is not formated and - you guessed it, does not have anything on it.

Hmmm, what else ...
    Oh, yah - P4 1.6GHz, 416 MB RAM (nothing changed in a long time).

What do I do? What do I do? Oh, what a world, what a world ...

p.s. I formatted it with NTFS. (just in case you were wondering)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Either try reformatting again - and this time delete the existing partition and create a new one. If you are not using an original XP CD then that might be part of your problem.

In Safe Mode you will be unable to install many things, like drivers.

Try testing the hardware. Definitely test the memory: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    Test the hard drives as well or try installing on the other drive.

Considering you say the AGP slot doesn't work I wouldn't be surprised if the motherboard was totally shot.

3. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I have reforatted thrice, deleting the partition each time. Maybe it is the CD since it is not the original one. My computer is scratch built, so I never had a custom XP cd, just the generic one.

Last time I reformatted, like a year or more ago, I was able to install the video drivers in safe mode. That was something I had to do since I did not have onboard video.

Any idea on getting into the BIOS?

4. brite750

brite750

What is a generic one? you mean OEM? you dont need on bord video to install video drivers while in windows, 98SE and Win2000 both boot fully into windows when formatting before you install gfx drivers without ob gfx???? if your trying to load drivers in safe mode that could be your problem.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Do you have the required keycode for the windows disc you are trying to install windows with?

6. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

Brite,

When I say the generic ones, I am referring to the drivers that come on the XP CD. Right after I install XP, it tries to boot normally, but I get the display errors listed above. The only way I can do anything on the computer is to go into safe mode. It is the same issue I encountered with this hardware setup when I first installed XP and when I most recently installed it (successfully). The only way I have ever been able to get my monitor to work is to install the ATI drivers from safe mode. But back then, I had a different XP CD, and I had the CD for my motherboard drivers. Now I have a different copy of XP and the downloaded version of the mother board drivers.

Dusty,

Of course. Can't install it without it. Can you?

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    reason I asked that was I once purchased an oem version of Win 98SE that worked fine the first time it was installed. Had to reinstall on the same machine and the keycode didnt work. The keycode didnt change but the person (shop) that installed it the first time for me didnt give me the correct book and it had a different keycode on it. If you are using a backed up compy of the WinXP disc it probably will not work either. There are files that just wont copy over to a back up of a WinXP disc.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just trying to clarify some of your posts. Do we have an original Windows install cd? What does the top of the cd read?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its usually DEL or F2 to get into the BIOS, watch the screens at the computers starts up. You can also clear the CMOS settings with the jumper on the motherboard - refer to the mother manual.

You shouldn't need to install any drivers to get Windows to start.

If you can get into Safe Mode go into the display settings and change the Refresh Rate of the monitor. Try something low like 60 or 70 Hz. That under Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor.

10. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

Dusty,

Well, I'm not sure. But I would think that if the key code was not the correct one, I would not be able to get past the part of the install where it prompts you for the key.

Aca,

Since I build the computer (not store bought like a Dell or Gateway), I used the off the self version of XP. The CD is a back up of the one I used to have (I've found some of my software, not all of it). So I would think that it would be the same thing.

Trip,

It's "TAB" to get into the BIOS. I press it when prompted, the BIOS begins to load, then Windows takes over and I never see the BIOS.

I am unable to change the refresh rate. The only option I have is "Use Hardware Default Setting". :eek:

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ussually its tab to clear a BIOS logo screen and another key to actually get into it. Windows loads after the BIOS and Windows cannot prevent you from entering the BIOS. Check the manual.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try the DEL key to access bios.

13. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

Ah yes, the DEL key had the magic - but all is well in the BIOS.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I was thinking more of Loading the BIOS defaults or using the Clear CMOS to clear any and all settings and restore them to defualts. Still think it would be worthwhile to test the memory.

Or try a different video card is you can borrow one. I've seen where a video card won't work right until some drivers are loaded for the chipset or there's some kind of issue with the motherboard and video card. For example, some ASUS boards and ATI RAGE 128 cards woun't work properly until the BIOS had been updated and the latest chipset drivers were installed - then the card could be put into the computer and it'd work fine.

15. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

I found my original software. I am going to try and install that later today to see if that works (it should - I hope)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice