Setup Work?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PritomD

Just wondering, will the following parts work, this is for a brand new computer I am building:

Dynapower Model# METIS CS-I3ASB.701 (Silver Black) ATX MID-TOWER CASE w/ 300W POWER SUPPLY - 2 x USB RETAIL
Specifications:
Material:Steel
Form Factor: ATX size up to 12" x 11".
Bays:4 x 5.25", 2 x 3.5" external 5 x 3.5" internal
Expansion Slots:7
Fans:1 x 80mm optional fan (included)
Power Supply:300W ATX12V support Intel P4 and AMD CPU
Dimensions: 8"(W) x 18 1/4"(D) x 17"(H)
Retail box (see pics for details) more info>

TR2TT(designed by Thermaltake) TR2 M2. CPU cooling fan, with T.M.D. (Tip-Magnetic Driving) fan and adjustable fan speed controller, installs in expension slot.
Specifications:
Fan: 74x74x15 mm(Two Ball Bearing).
Heat sink: 70x66x30.8mm.
Fan Speed H: 5600 RPM, M: 4500 RPM, L: 3000 RPM.
Air Flow: 35.5CFM.

KDS 17" VS-7BLK Black CRT Monitor Retail
The VS-7b is designed for business professionals and home users who want an affordable, yet reliable 17" monitor in black casing.
Specifications:
Size : 17" (15.7" viewable) Diagonal
Dot Pitch : 0.24mm (Horizontal) 0.27mm (Vertical)
Maximum Resolution : 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz
Input Connector : 15-pin D-Sub. (Analog RGB) more info>

Biostar Motherboard for AMD Athlon/AthlonXP/Duron processors , Model# M7NCD PRO Retail.
Specifications:
CPU Supported: AMD Athlon/AthlonXP(Palomino, T-bred and Barton)/Duron processors
Chipset: Nvidia nForce2 Ultra 400, MCP2
FSB: 200/266/333/400
RAM: 3x 184-pin DDR DIMMs (PC3200/2700/2100/1600 DDR SDRAMs), supports both 64-bit and 128-bit DDR SDRAM,Dual Channel DDR
Slots:1xAGP (4x/8x) 5xPCI.
Ports:2xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB, 1xLAN, and Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel AC'97 CODEC
Onboard LAN: Intregrated 10/100 Ethernet more

AMD ATHLON XP 2700 /333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM
Specifications:
CPU: 2.17 GHz
Type: XP 2700 Thoroughbred
Cache: 256K
BUS: 333MHz
Socket A
OEM (Processor Only)

PNY GeForce 4 TI4200 64M /TV OEM
Specifications:
Chipset: GeForce4 Ti 4200 GPU 256-bit Unique maroon-colored card
Memory:64MB fast DDR Memory
Memory Clock: 500MHz
8.8 GB/sec Memory Bandwidth
4.4 Billion AA samples per second fill rate
3D Features: GPU InfiniteFX II Engine
Integrated 350MHz RAMDAC, resolution up to 2048x1536, True Color @ 60Hz
Comprehensive AGP 4X support
OS Support: Windows XP, 2000, 98, 95, ME, NT® 4.0 display drivers
Ports:VGA + S-Video + DVI
OEM Pack (comes with manual and Driver) more info>
N82E16814133021R

I know I am missing Memory, I will buy it at circuit city or something with rebates and stuff. A hard drive, which I already got 80GB 7200. a CD drive, which I will find (are there DVD players that can burn CDS, not DVDS, but just burn CDs? and play DVD movies?), and an OS (is windows XP home good?)

Im wondering, that if I build this computer, will it function good, no errors between the parts? and am I missing anything? i got the parts according to what you can choose at ibuypower for custom computers
This computer will be used for gaming with COunterstrike, and hopefully doom 3 and half life2, halo, etc etc

"I know I am missing Memory, I will buy it at circuit city or something "

Since the mobo supports Dual Channel memory, Make sure to buy "Matched Pairs" of memory sticks that are compatible with your mobo. 2 2x256MB sticks = 512MB should be enough. Spend the extra few dollars ( if you're going with WinXP instead of Win2000Pro) and purchase WinXP Pro. The money difference will more than make up for the headaches you will get using XP HOME especially when it comes to doing any "burning". HOME doesn't "like" ANY burning software ( in fact I don't think "it" even likes burning!).

Here is a sample system with components from www.newegg.com for UNDER $800 without monitor(which you should buy locally anyway):

Enlight Beige Mid-tower 360w CASE $55.00 - switch to Antec430w
AMD XP 2500+ Barton CPU $90.00
Asus A7N8X LAN MOBO $80.99
Corsair XMS Dual Channel 2x256(512) RAM $144.00
Western Digital 80G/ATA100/8MB HDD $87.00
Western Digital 40G/ATA100/8MB HDD $67.00
LiteOn 16x/48x DVD $34.99
Liteon 52x32x52 CDRW $42.99
Mitsumi Floppy $6.50
USRobotics Modem $42.00
Sapphire/ATI 9000Pro 128MB Videocard $79.00

Total $729.47

With shipping, any cables needed, etc. about $800.00.

For your purpose, go with the mobo and cpu listed, use the Dual Channel Corsair memory, get the Mitsumi floppy, modem of your choice (as long as it's a HARDWARE modem, not Winmodem,etc),
Lite On 48x24x48x16 CDROM/CDRW/DVD, an Antec case with 430w power supply. The 4200 cards are pretty decently priced right now. However, if you want a newer more current card, get an ATI 9600 Pro. A system such as the one listed above with a 9600Pro card will scream so bad it'll scare ya! The above listed stuff came from newegg. Since I know NOTHING about ibuypower, as I told someone in another thread, I can't recommend them one way or another!

PritomD

Originally posted by StillLearnin':
"I know I am missing Memory, I will buy it at circuit city or something "

Since the mobo supports Dual Channel memory, Make sure to buy "Matched Pairs" of memory sticks that are compatible with your mobo. 2 2x256MB sticks = 512MB should be enough. Spend the extra few dollars ( if you're going with WinXP instead of Win2000Pro) and purchase WinXP Pro. The money difference will more than make up for the headaches you will get using XP HOME especially when it comes to doing any "burning". HOME doesn't "like" ANY burning software ( in fact I don't think "it" even likes burning!).

Here is a sample system with components from www.newegg.com for UNDER $800 without monitor(which you should buy locally anyway):

Enlight Beige Mid-tower 360w CASE $55.00 - switch to Antec430w
AMD XP 2500+ Barton CPU $90.00
Western Digital 80G/ATA100/8MB HDD $87.00
Western Digital 40G/ATA100/8MB HDD $67.00
Mitsumi Floppy $6.50
USRobotics Modem $42.00
Sapphire/ATI 9000Pro 128MB Videocard $79.00

Total $729.47
hmm well i think i can scratch out the moniter, since i found a moniter at home to use for my old computer. anyways, for ths setup, I think I want to use the case I have listed in my setup, but with a PSU upgrade to 400w antec. for the prco, imma go up to 2600 for $99. the mobo sounds good, my friends said they have it and its good. the RAM sounds good too. Minus those hard drives, cause I already have a 80gb 7200rpm around and I don't need that much mememory at the momeny. those DVD and CDRW are good, keeping those. minus the mtsumi, and the modem, cause I dont need those.heres your setup with modifications i made:

Dynapower Silverblack ATXMid-Tower Case- switch to Antec400w-$25 (minus the PSU upgrade)
AMD XP 2600+ Barton CPU $99.00
80GB 7200rpm WEstern Dig-$0.00
PNY GeForce 4 TI4200 64M /TV OEM -$91
TR2TT(designed by Thermaltake) TR2 M2. CPU cooling fan, with T.M.D. (Tip-Magnetic Driving) fan and adjustable fan speed controller, installs in expension slot. -$10.99

I just feel like using the case I got along with teh PSU upgrade, same with the processor upgrade. Also, I would rather use a 4200 for now instead of ATI :\.

so would this setup along with windows work out ok? like after I put it together, install the OS, it would run fine?

also, when it starts out....how does it start out? does it have MSDOS there at first? another thing: if this is a fresh new computer, is there any way to get teh $199 WinProf upgrade rather then the $299 win prof alone? thanks

also, i may want to get a compaq or dell or someting, cause this is awful complicated for me, ive never built a computer! and also my dad would rather buy a pre-built cause he worries about warranties and stuff.

Lets start at the beginning.

"also, i may want to get a compaq or dell or someting, cause this is awful complicated for me, ive never built a computer! and also my dad would rather buy a pre-built cause he worries about warranties and stuff."

That should be everyones concern(warranty/tech support). This is something I try to stress to people wanting to build their own system. It's actually not as easy as it sounds(configuration/setup make all the difference in the world). I take customers systems all the time and go in, re-configure them and they think it's a whole new machine! It's not, it's how the system is put together in the beginning. If everything is set to default, the system works. If the advanced settings are enabled(within the specified limits), the system is much faster and more stable/reliable. We're talking about BIOS settings, then individual component settings. Although I despise the "name" brands (hp/compaq, gateway, dell), it's pretty hard right now not to just run out and purchase one of their systems at the prices they have them at. Look at Best Buys ad!!! You can't build a complete system with monitor, printer, mouse, keyboard, speakers and operating software for $500-$700 that compare to theirs. And that includes warranty and tech support( however good/bad it might be). It doesn't make any difference that they use cheaper parts and make non-upgradable systems, it's tough to beat. The PC companies are dumping their old, outdated stock right now so they can start getting the prices back up and show some profits. IF you look for a NAME brand system, make sure it's not using the PC100/PC133 memory (you want DDR), that the hard drive is a 7200 rpm (not 5400), the mobo is NOT a PCCHIPS or ECS brand mobo, the P4 cpu is NOT a CELERON(that's what's in the cheap pcs usually) and if you are considering upgrading it ( find out first what is upgradable and the costs) and that the power supply is MORE than 250w. I would try to find a reputable computer shop in your locale (better system, still have warranty/tech support) and get a custom built such as we have discussed.

"imma go up to 2600 for $99."

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.13GHz 266 128K 256K Thorobred B
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08GHz 333 128K 256K Thorobred B

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz 333 128K 512K Barton

Make sure you're not getting the 2600+ cpus above. The 2500+ Barton will blow them away. The 512K cache makes a big difference. How to identify link:

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

We don't like Biostar mobos and only use Asus and Tyan ( once in awhile Abit). These are the most reliable/stable and most compatible mobos there are in our opinion. I would still take an XP 2500+ Barton over a 2600+ Barton for the money. I don't see a $9 difference when benchmarking! Put the nine bucks towards a different case.

"is there any way to get the $199 WinProf upgrade rather then the $299 win prof alone? thanks"

If you buy an HP/Compaq, Dell, etc., it will come with WinXP HOME pre-installed so learn to live with it. You may be able to get a student discount( if you are a student). You would have to check around to find out( a quick way is to contact the school system/college in your area or a local software dealer ). To upgrade the computer it must already have registered software on it(legally).

Still prefer Enlight, Inwin or Antec cases over your choice.

PritomD

hmm ok, well i decided to build a computer. ill stick with the asus board u reccomended, and get teh 2500 instead of the 2600s i wanted. i have windows ME full edition, however it is for this computer, is it possible to put it on the new one, and upgrade it from there? also, here is the current setup:

Dynapower Silverblack ATXMid-Tower Case- switch to Antec400w-$25 (minus the PSU upgrade)
AMD XP 2500+ Barton CPU $92.00
TR2TT(designed by Thermaltake) TR2 M2. CPU cooling fan, with T.M.D. (Tip-Magnetic Driving) fan and adjustable fan speed controller, installs in expension slot. -$10.99
Windows XP Prof-$?

Will this work out as it is for now?

Triple6

Rob
XP would be a much better choice for that system - Millenium has a reputation for being unstable and XP is rock solid and it supports and utilizes new hardware much better.

If you wish to use Millenium be aware that while you can install it on as many machines as you want, legally you are only allowed to install it on one computer at a time. With XP they make sure of this with Activation.

PritomD: The worst version of Windows was ME. The second worst is XP HOME. The third is XP Pro. IF you do not decide to go with W2kPro then go with XP Pro. The new Windows(Longhorn) looks like it may not be released now until 2006. As time passes some of the over 5000 bugs still remaining in XP should get patched making it a better OS as it gets older. I am not familiar with the case so I can't give any recommendation on it. I would ,however, recommend getting the Antec 430w power supply so in the future you shouldn't have to worry if you do any upgrading. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty darn good!

PritomD

well I wouldnt keep ME because, yes I am very unhappy with it. what i am saying is, is it possile, to install ME, then buy the XP prof upgrade and have it work OK? Ive used xpprof on my bros laptop and friends computer, and I seem to like it OK. I haven't been able to find a price on Windows 2000 Pro, but if it has the same price, I would get it over Windows Xp Pro, since its better...but money is an issue.

Soooo...if I put all those parts together, install an OS, it will work out? Does MS dos come with the computer, or how will I start the install for an OS..

Thanks StilllLearni, Triple, and anyone else who has helped so far.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I think the ME cd is bootable if you have the full version. You should be able to change boot order in the bios setup to boot from cd first and ME should begin to walk you thru the install.

W2k "usually" runs about $50 more. In your case the "upgrade" to XP Pro would probably be the best route. Physically configure the system, throw in the Windows cd, get the Windows updates, install the Anti-Virus/Firewall apps, update them and start playing!

PritomD

So, I come after a while to confirm and only confirm:
Will this computer work?

Dynapower Silverblack ATXMid-Tower Case- switch to Antec430w-$25 (minus the PSU antec 430w upgrade)
AMD XP 2500+ Barton CPU $92.00 (includes fan+heaysink)
Windows XP Prof upgrade (I will install ME< then use upgrade to go XP prof)-...

will this setup all work after I put it together? no problems or anything, no missing parts (eg fans, power things, etc)? thank you in advance

http://www.salesintl.com/product.asp?3=10

http://store.yahoo.com/saveateaglestore/micwin20proo1.html

http://www.atomicpark.com/productList.aspx?prodInfoId=9519&ref=52

PritomD: Even Microsoft DOESN'T recommend UPGRADING from a Win98ME install. Do a fresh install of W2kPro if that's what you want(#2 choice WinXP Pro) but DON"T get an UPGRADE version of 2k or XP. Win2k Pro can usually be found (with cd) for around $150.00. The same to $50 less for WinXP pro.

http://www.neocomputers.com/items.asp?CartId=131-ACCWARE-99518SLWQO13&Cc=OPERATIN&tpc=

Like I said, I'm not familiar with the case but otherwise you've got a quick system. You might consider a 128MB 4200 (even though the memory might be a hair slower-you won't notice) because 64MB is getting to be the BOTTOM end on video card memory requirements. Otherwise it's looking exciting. Check out the links for the OS. As you probably have read in my past posts on the TSG forums that we STILL prefer Win2000Pro over ANY winXP. There hasn't been anything we couldn't do with it(2000Pro) that XP could do better(and XP doesn't remain as stable). I'm totally serious when I say that WinXP DOESN'T like change! It's hard enough to just update drivers half the time. Look at all the problems with just updating drivers that you read about in the forums, let alone uninstallin/installing/re-installing hardware! Let's get to abuying and abuilding!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts