1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SETUPDD.SYS BSOD During New Rig Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by The Football Ref, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Football Ref

The Football Ref Thread Starter

Hi guys. After building a new tower for a friend, I created a RAID 5 array, then during the XP install I got all the way to EULA F8, and then chose the array to install on.

After windows formats the array, the bottom of the screen says checking drive C: and then BAM, the BSOD.

The error message says page fault in a non page area, and the file is SETUPDD.SYS.

My CD Roms are both SATA, so I hooked up an IDE CD Rom drive, same problem.

I switched RAM modules and slots they were in, same.

I deleted the array, created it again and even did the slow format instead of the quick one. Formatted all the way and then while checking C: same thing.

Any help will be much appreciated. This is a system for a friend and he needs it for his business.

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Ok, you have a RAID 5, these are SATA drives?

You have SATA CDROMs. Ok.

You boot from the XP CDROM? This works ok?

Could be an IDE drive during the detection phase is conflicting (dunno if you have a IDE drive or not). Could be faulty drivers. Did you F6 install them?

Could be a bad disk. Did you chkdsk each hard disk, one at a time?

3. The Football Ref

Sorry for not giving more details.

The RAID Array is SATA.

Booting from the XP Media Center CD works no problem.

I originally had no IDE's connected at all. Only connected one to try an IDE CD Rom drive install, and when I did that I disconnected both SATA CDRoms.

I did not individually check each SATA hard disk. Just figured that with the slow format after EULA it would tell me if there was a problem there.

I did F6 the drivers for the Array. They came right off the MB driver CD.

Thanks for your time.

4. The Football Ref

Tonight I had the time to take a known working IDE HDD and an IDE CDRom drive from another system and got the same error.

Install goes properly right up to the point where after the EULA it wants to start writing to the HDD.

So now it doesn't make any sense that it would be a problem with the SATA raid array either.

I also ran memtest and so far 2 passes over almost 2 hours and no error with the RAM.

This is all leading to the Motherboard or the Windows install CD. I am not happy.

Gosh this sux ..............

5. The Hound

The Hound

memtest isn't 100 percent to catch all RAM issues...can you try installing with just one stick? Still fail? Try the other.

6. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Agreed, memory suspect #1, mb #2, CD #3. Of course a CD would be the easiest to replace and test.

It could also be a problem with the RAID controller itself. The system driver is for setting up dynamic disks and since you've a raid5 that would lead me to think something here is the issue. But a simple IDE then occurs a different problem.

So I'm leaning towards motherboard...but definitely check the ram first.

7. The Football Ref

Hey guys.

Over 100 systems built and this was the first one I RMA'd and gave up on.

The only thing I didn't RMA was the Software and the SATA Hard Drives.

I get a whole new system (Gigabyte motherboard instead of ASUS) and use the same hard drives.

Low and behold I get another error during install but instead of the one the ASUS board gave me (BSOD) while " checking c drive : " after formatting the array , the Gigabyte board said it can't see the RAID Array at all.

One of the Hard Drives was bad !! Even though the ASUS board installed it on the Array, and then slow formatted it from the windows install, showing the array as an available partition to write to, the drive was bad.

The Gigabyte board created the array, but never gave me the chance to format it. Gigabyte said their was no drive to install the O/S on.

If the ASUS board had done that, I would have known it was a hard drive problem and saved over 6-10 hours of troubleshooting.

I don't know why the IDE hard drive didn't work when I tried that, but no more ASUS boards for me.

NO MORE ASUS !!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice