1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sever 2003 help needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darkside107, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkside107

darkside107 Thread Starter

We are small school with appox 20 computers linked to sever computer running sever 2003.
    Teach guy tells us we can't have file sharing printer sharing as sever is not big enough.
    All we need to to is log in - have an individual folder which can be accessed from any machine and same for printer access. Internet access too.
    At the moment he has to set individual access on each computer. I have worked with much better set ups even on a small scale like this but don't have server knowledge to argue. PLEASE HELP US!
    What are system requirements for this to work?
    How can it be done simply?

2. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

This is interesting, and I'd really like to give your tech person the benefit of the doubt.

A legitimate reason he might say no is if there are already applications running on the server (scheduling? Grading? Enrollment?) that could be impacted by adding the roles of general file server and/or print server. Or perhaps the hard drive just doesn't have available capacity, and he has no budget to purchase a larger one for your purpose.

You are correct that from a theoretical standpoint what you're asking for is exactly what a local server can and should be doing for you. So there's something missing from the equation. Rather than trying to "talk tech" to him, just ask him to explain in simple terms what prevents this from being doable.

Oh, and pass the answer back here please. I'm just curious.

3. darkside107

Thanks for your advice.
    I have asked in plain english and have been told the hard drive is not big enough. However, there are no other programs running on the server except sever 2003. All the computer are brand new hp's.
    So does any one know how bog the hard drive has to be?

4. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

Officially, Windows Server 2003 requires approximately 3 gigabytes of hard disc space to install and run.

What is the server used for, if there are no other programs running on it, and it's not a file or print server? Just user authentication?

5. darkside107

It is just to be used as a file and print server. Nothing else runs on it except the wired and wireless network. It has approx 40 GB free hard disk space. There are about 20 members of staff. This could run to about 100 in the future. Is there enough space for this?

6. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

In the scheme of things 40 gb available isn't a whole lot. But it should be enough to get started with 20 staff members - of course the amount of data they store on the server would have to be monitored and controlled (easily done in Win 2003 Server). I've done more with less.

Without more information about the environment and server, It kinda sounds like he just doesn't want to be bothered. :-( Is your tech guy a contractor, or just one of the teachers?

7. darkside107

The tech guy is a part time employee to look after all the computer equipment. However he is a software designer by training not a network engineer.
    Thanks for all your help advice. You have really confirmed what I thought and new.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice