1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

several applications won't run on XP MCE desktop -- media player, system restore...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MarkVII, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkVII

MarkVII Thread Starter

Greetings -- my Windows XP MCE has become extremely "cranky" -- various programs simply won't run, and nothing seems to help. Here's what I've run into.

-- Windows Media Player wouldn't start. Tried to re-download from MS Downloads page. Web page gave message about needing to authenticate my copy of Windows first. Web page just sat there.

-- Tried to start System Restore, but it wouldn't start.

-- Booted into safe mode and tried System Restore. Still won't start.

-- Windows Help and Support won't open. Double click, get an hourglass for about five seconds, then nothing.

-- Tried to run Windows Update to check that out. Windows Update web page said it needed to make sure I was running the latest Windows Update program and to allow any ActiveX programs to run. Page just sat there.

-- However, automatic updates appears to be working. My PC shows that it needs updates and applies them OK.

-- Did some internet searches, downloaded and installed latest Windows Installer (4.5). Windows Update still doesn't work.

-- Deleted temporary files, cleaned out browser cache. Ran CCleaner to get rid of files and junk in registry.

-- Tried to open my McAfee control panel, but won't open. McAfee appears to be running OK, because its logo displays at the lower right of my screen.

-- Ran Malwarebytes quick scan. No malware found.

-- Ran Superantispyware quick scan. Found some tracking cookies, but nothing else.

-- Though some programs don't work, many others do. IE and Chrome work OK, as do MS Word and Excel.

Here's what TSG Sysinfo has to say:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 3006 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 53795 MB, Free - 4146 MB; D: Total - 8197 MB, Free - 1000 MB; E: Total - 128778 MB, Free - 66733 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., Amberine M
    Antivirus: Authentium Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I'm totally baffled. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice