1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SEVERAL Errors...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alterpickle9, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alterpickle9

Alterpickle9 Thread Starter

Well recently my computer has had several errors in the past month or two.

To begin with, I first started experiencing constant hangings in Mozilla Firefox (my primary web-browser). I first thought it was a once-in-a-lifetime mistake, so I simply rebooted and it didn't hang anymore.

However; even though Mozilla continued to function, it would hang after a short while. I'd assume around 1 hour of usage.

By this time, I started experiencing hangings everywhere, in a client where I play RuneScape (Don't flame), AIM, MSN, etc. Sometimes, after I just finished rebooting, all the programs would just hang immediately after I started it.

After these problems started progressing, an error would always pop up whenever I restarted my computer. This error was a RUNDLL error, and the message says:

"An exception occured while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"".

There was no way I was able to fix this, so I would just click ok and move on. My computer started to run slower, for example, I used to be able to load Windows almost immediately after every reboot. Now, it takes a minute or two for Windows to start up.

As if things couldn't get any worse, whenever I restart my computer, it would say Disk Boot Failure and wouldn't let me proceed. This error happens on and off for some odd reason, meaning that when I restart my computer yet AGAIN it wouldn't show up. But after I restart again, it would most likely show up.

The last and final error I receive, is a blue screen of death. The blue screen of death happens occassionally, at extremely random times. And by random, I really mean random, it would sometimes just blue screen of death even while I was reading a forum. The Blue screen of death goes away too quickly for me to jot down the error message, so I'm unable to put that down here.

Here are some relevant notes pertaining to these errors:

- Sometimes, before a blue screen of death, my computer would just stop making noise (noise as in the sound the computer fan makes when operating) and my whole computer would freeze. Then afterwards the blue screen of death comes up.

- Sometimes, when Mozilla hangs and closes down, I would try and open it again but immediately after I do it would just hang again.

- At a certain point, before Windows loaded, my computer did an automatic hard-drive scan. I proceeded with this scan but it did nothing.

- I cleaned out all the spyware I could with Spybot Search & Destroy, along with all the ad-ware I could with Ad-Aware Personal SE. I scanned my computer with both Kaspersky Personal AND Norton Anti-Virus; however, nothing was detected.

- Sometimes, a message would pop up saying "Windows has just recovered from a serious error" or something like that.

That's pretty much it. Hopefully, all this information will give you technical experts an idea of what my problem is and hopefully give me a solution. Thanks. :p

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Some specs on the PC would help like how much memory is installed etc and how old it PC is...

Have you cleaned it out of dust lately??

3. Alterpickle9

Yes I personally removed the computer case and cleaned out any dust and such. It is quite an old computer, around the time Windows XP came out.

The computer is a Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz with 1.00 GB of RAM.

4. Goku

Goku

Also,I suggest you clean out of the junk of your computer.To do this,download CCleaner and RegSeeker.Next,configure them according to your needs and make a clean up of your PC.Also,uninstall useless applications and softwares and defrag your hard drive.See if this helps or not.Good Luck.

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

An exception occured while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"".

That error is for a nvdia video card

Have you updated your drivers

6. Alterpickle9

I'm pretty inexperienced with videocards, so I have no idea how to update the drivers.. :(

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

First see what video card you have please

Start run devmgmt.msc

and look under display adapters

post it and we will find you a link to update it

8. Alterpickle9

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420.

By the way Goku, I used both those programs just now and cleaned a lot of files. Thanks for that.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Driver Installation Hints

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

11. Alterpickle9

Display drivers or drivers also? The only NVIDIA related program in my add or remove list is "NVIDIA Drivers". It takes up no MB whatsoever. Should I do something with this first before I continue?

12. bonk

bonk Banned

First of all lets see what version you have installed at the moment....we need to go to Device Manager.

To get to Device Manager click Start>>Run type devmgmt.msc click OK

Look down the list for Display Adapters
    Click on the + sign to expand
    Double click on your video card
    Click on the Driver tab

it should tell you there what version

13. Alterpickle9

So should I leave the "NVIDIA Drivers" program in add or remove list alone?

Edit: I'm getting quite sleepy so I only have a few minutes left. Incase you guys respond, I'll reply back tomorrow. In the meantime, any suggestions of help would be appreciated.

14. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes for now leave the one in Add/Remove.

Download the driver from the link I gave you above to your desktop and then Double click it and it should install the driver automatically......you will have to restart the PC for it to fully install.

15. Alterpickle9

Alright in that case, restarting it will also tell me if it solves the exception RUNDLL error or not...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice