1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Several GPUs?

Discussion in 'Games' started by morroblivion, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morroblivion

morroblivion Thread Starter

Ok quick and easy
    What exactly does adding more GPUs to a computer do, does it reduce lag and stuff.

What I thought is: If you have a video card, say 9500GT and the game lags on it, does adding another 9500GT(or better) imrove quality? I saw a dude with 3 EVGA GTX 570s so i wanted to ask. SKyrim is coming so i want a buffed up pc for it.

2. wiley8425

wiley8425

It depends. There are two options that I know of depending on who you go with: SLI or Crossfire. With an SLI (NVIDIA) setup you won't really notice a huge difference unless you play in really high resolutions and have all the bells and whistles turned on (AA, shaders, etc. etc.) As far as Crossfire (ATI) I don't really know where you see a performance gain as I haven't played around with that setup yet. You're probably better off just putting down more money for a good video card to start with then trying to set up one of those though. If you have any issues with one card or have to upgrade, you have to figure on replacing all the cards at the same time which in the end can be a lot more expensive.

For an SLI system, the cards can run in parallel, or one can be dedicated to graphics and the other to PhysX effects. If you are thinking about going with either though, I'd suggest reading up on both and doing some research. If you're playing on a 17" monitor, neither is really going to be of any benefit. And SLI is capable of running 3 or 4 cards in parallel as well, but you're really talking a lot of money for that. Also keep in mind you need a motherboard that supports the setup and a power supply beefy enough to handle the extra cards. Not to mention the cards generate a lot of heat, so you're talking cooling issues as well.

http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html -- SLI info can be found here and on the NVIDIA forums.
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_about.aspx -- Crossfire info can be found here.

As for mine, I have a dual SLI setup and run most of my stuff at 1650 x 1080 with everything maxed. I have been able to play pretty much anything I run on it without any issues.

3. katokato

katokato

generally multiple gpus do generate better performance, like dual cores in a cpu(5970). but this is not true all of the times.

if i were you, i would just get a better card instead of another card. (a 5770 would be nice)

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Generally, a higher end single card will outperform 2 lower cards in SLI / Crossfire.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice