1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Several mixed-up problems. At a loss what to do

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Geezer77, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

System: Dell Dimension 3000 Windows XP with SP1 and 2. IE 7. OE 6. Office 2003. McAfee new. Spybot search and destroy.
    Problems: 1) Mouse. Odd behavior. The pointer quivers all the time. Shakes. When I run mouse down bar at right side of screen to scroll up or down, and then try to click on something, the screen and mouse jump all over the place. So what I must do is click on anything flashing by and then move the pointer. Often pointer jumps all over screen or leaves it even if mouse not used.
    2) Repeat actions or letters. Either with mouse or on keyboard, if two things are to be done in sequence and they are the same, such as tt, or Delete delete, or tab tab, it is necessary to wait a second or two before clicking repeat. If wishes are the same, as in most of what I am typing, goes at normal speed.
    3) Highlighting. Mouse will highlight. But then can not get any action. That is, can not delete highlighted material, or copy it with ctrl + C to be moved elsewhere on same screen or another document. I can remove a letter/number one at a time with the delete or backspace key, but to remove a word at a time must press ctrl + the other key. And if by chance there is a tiny spot of highlight, nothing happens. When I press ctrl + V, it puts on the screen the same item over and over again, from a long time ago, and will not lay out what I need now.
    I do not know in which forum to put all this.

2. 1101doc

1101doc

Are you using remote mouse and keyboard? Do these problems occur in any other accounts? Do these problems manifest in safe mode? Do any yellow warning icons appear in device manager? Have you done any online malware scans to backup your installed protection-just to be sure?

3. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help.
    (1) Am using mouse and keyboard connected to central processor by wires. I assume by "remote" you mean one that is wireless. The mouse is the kind that has a red light underneath it. The scrolling wheel does not work. That has been true for a long time; have not bothered with it. Have just the one machine; no network.
    (2) The principal and almost only user is myself. Is that what you mean by other accounts? The troubles described appear whenever I use machine. For example, just now I was trying to scroll down to your response to make sure I am answering your queries properly and in order. I click the left mouse and hold it down over the bluish bar on the right of this page, and then move down so that your note appears. When I take the mouse of that bluish bar, the pointer goes all over the place and your message disappears as the pointer goes to the top of the page. In order to hold things in place, I must ever so quickly move mouse to the left, to anywhere on the page, left click once, and then can hold on.
    (3) Safe mode. Have no idea. When am I in safe mode?
    (4) Yellow warning icons in device manager. Have no idea. Have not looked at device manager; just tried unable to figure out where or what it is.
    (5) Use only McAfee and Spybot.
    Thank you, the Geezer.

4. 1101doc

1101doc

OK. Step one is to get a new mouse. Very likely that the non-functioning wheel was an early symptom and it's just getting worse. I also have had mouse problems, and now recommend the Microsoft wired Intellipoint Optical Scroll Wheel Mouse. Should be able to get one at almost any of the places that carry basic computer stuff like Best Buy, Office Depot, etc. The Microsoft mouse is USB and comes with a disc. About $20, and does not need a pad. Almost any surface will do. Or just get a Wal-Mart special with one of those round plugs on the end and plug it in directly. No sense messing with your system before we know whether it's a hardware problem. Hardware always trumps software.

5. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

Thank you for your care. Will get to store tomorrow if open. Will be back to you with a digest of what is good and what is not.
    Have a happy Presidents' Day.
    The Geez

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    another good brand to try is logitech corded or cordless . ive used those and never had a problem. when they wear out just pitch them and get another one.

7. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

Thanks, will check out logitech as well. Will also check if I need special equipment for cordless, compared to cable connection.
    The Geeze

8. 1101doc

1101doc

I know infrared cordless sounds convenient but I had to ask myself if I wanted another layer of complexity. USB is already between me and my machine. If I had more P2 ports I would plug both my mouse and keyboard in that way. To me, simple is good.

9. new tech guy

new tech guy

As for the keyboard issue, i would imagine maybe an acessibility utility is on such as sticky keys or filter keys. I would check those out and see if that helps.

10. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

How do I find out about "sticky keys" or the other one?

11. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

Acting in recommendations from this site, purchased MS wheel mouse optical, installed this afternoon with Intellipoint software. This has helped pointer movements considerably. In addition am able to double click without waiting, and pointer movement is more controlled. So that is all to the good.
    Double clicking from keyboard (two characters or two movements in a row) is unchanged--that is, won't work.
    Highlighting is unchanged. That is, am able to highlight, but unable to copy or remove-and-copy, with ctrl+C or ctrl+X. Have tried both ctrl keys on either side of keyboard, both Alt keys, and all the F keys together with C, X and V--makes no difference, will not work.
    Thank you for what you have accomplished thus far. Would appreciate further ideas.
    The Geeze

12. 1101doc

1101doc

Good to hear about the good changes. Next, go to Control Panel>Accessibility Options.
    Should be a "Wheelchair" icon. Under the Keyboard tab, make sure that no boxes are checked for Sticky, Toggle, or Filter keys. If they are uncheck them. Shouldn't need to reboot for this but... If not checked, first step is Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager. Expand the listing for Keyboard (click the +). Any yellow warning signs? Right click the listing for the keyboard and choose "Scan for changes..." A double click on the listing , or right click properties will give you access to the troubleshooter. But. Should have just suggested a new keyboard as well as mouse the first time. I am typing this on a 9.95 Wal-mart special plugged into the P2 port. No software required.
    If your keyboard has the ability to plug into P2 try it there. Another trick. If Device Manager properties says that the keyboard is fine, try shutdown/unplug keyboard/reboot/shutdown/reboot/plug the keyboard back in and let it be recognized and installed all over again by Plug & Play. The boot without the keyboard plugged in is necessary to let Windows "forget" the keyboard. Hope you like your new mouse. Only thing is Intellipoint wants to run in the background all the time. If you have a good start-up control program like WinPatrol, just turn the Intellipoint software off from start-up. The mouse will still work fine.

13. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

Thank you so very much for the care you invested in your reply.
    To take items one at a time.
    Checked the wheelchair keyboard item, and indeed 'sticky' was checked so unchecked it.
    Then the control panel system hardware device manager keyboard. There were no yellow signs. But the only listing under keyboard was 'standard 101/102-key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard' When I right clicked on either that listing or on keyboard or double clicked I did not get a troubleshooter or any other information.
    You discuss a P2 port. Traced the line from keyboard to back of the machine, found it ended in a purple terminal plugging into a specially conformed slot just under the four green lights A, B, C, D, all of which are properly green.
    That new mouse I got came with a green plug which hooked on to a USB plug. Since the deceased mouse was running on a USB plug, I undid the green plug, and used the USB plug in the same place where the late mouse was connected. Yd.ncecbi Yd. lngi uprm yd. t.fxrape er.o bry dak. a gox lngi jrbb.jycrb nct. ydayw hg,oy yd. ,cp. ,.ne.e cbv

14. new tech guy

new tech guy

That is fine. Leave the keyboard in its standard ps/2 port. Also for the mouse, rather than using the USB crossover (which has caused problems) i would just wire it into the other serial port like where the keyboard goes. (they are usually indicated with small icons indicating whether a keyboard or a mouse goes in the port as they are identical. That usb crossover thing could also be another problem so i would plug that in directly to the PS/2 port on the back of the pc.

15. new tech guy

new tech guy

Oh also i forgot to mention about the keyboard thing. That keyboard driver is a generic driver and should not be touched. Although after all proper connections are made and if trouble persists i would right click the drivers and click uninstall and then reboot which will automatically reinstall drivers. Dont need a cd as this stuff is built into windows and will simply reconfig on boot. See if that helps too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice