1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

several programs won't leave memory

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KungFuJew, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KungFuJew

KungFuJew Thread Starter

I tried everything to get rid of these start up programs that weasel their way into the statup of windows. they get deleted but come right back after a reboot. other programs that got turned off don't do that. please help

quicktime
    creative volume control
    lexmark printer all in one center
    ituned helper
    ati control bar

anyway to permanently get rid of them from starting up

i tried several programs with no luck

norton util
    winpatrol
    adaware
    spybot

nothing

Thanks, alex

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You have to be careful about what you take out of startup. These programs are all needed

quicktime = It is a movie program and if you want it out there is an options box in the program that you would take the tick out of run at startup
    creative volume control = needed for the sound to work properly
    lexmark printer all in one center - needed for the printer all-in-one to work properly
    ituned helper help for ituned - probably un-installing itunes
    ati control bar = for your video to display properly remove it and video might go south.

That is the low down.

3. Kitch

Kitch

I took the sound & video controls out of my startup a long time ago. It doesn't stop them working & I can still access them through Control Panel when needed.

All I have in startup is AV & Firewall.

4. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

1, go to start

2, click on run

3, type in msconfig

4, click on selective startup

5, uncheck the box that says load startup items

6, click on the tab that says services

7, then click on the box that says hide all microsoft services

8, then uncheck everything in the list but the tiems with the name of your virus scan, firewall and anything that has the letters lxcc

9, apply and click ok then restart

the quick time startup items that you have is the quicktime task, it is useless and is a reasource hog when handeling certain content.

if you can do with out the quicktime player, i recomend you uninstall it and then install quicktime alternative http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

it has all the features of quicktime with out the reasource hoging because all it has are the codecs and you use another pleyer wike windows media or VLC to play the quicktime video (PS it also has a feature that allows you to view quicktime content on websites, It also has a much lower cpu usage than the origional quicktime player

things that use to take 70-80% cpu usage, now play smoothly at under 10% cpu usage

Some advantages compared to QuickTime player :

- Quick and easy install
    - It's easy to make an unattended installation
    - No background processes
    - Use a player of your own choice
    - Low on resources
    - Smaller size (quoted from the website )

and if you hate real player theres also this

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice