1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Several Questions need Simple Answers

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by AmieHill, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AmieHill

AmieHill Thread Starter

I'm working in 'safe mode' right now. We've been snowed in for over 4 days now and I've been staying at my son's house & had my laptop over there. Never had any problem using it over there and bringing it back home before and using it back and forth. Until now. After sliding on ice into a ditch, and having a terrible day getting home, I finally got here safely (thank goodness) unloaded my car, and plugged in my computer. Went to sign on, using the same password I've used for years and got the message: "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access is denied". I'm the only user on this computer. I'm the administrator and never had a problem before using this laptop anywhere.

Nothing works. I've tried clicking 'change password' and it tells me I need a 'floppy disk' to do that?????

So, I signed in using 'safe mode' and checked a few things and noticed two other issues while trying to find the solution to this problem. One is an exclamation mark under System Management that says:

"Consumer IR Devices is not working properly" and the drivers cannot load properly.

I don't even know what that is?

The other is another explanation mark under Network Adapters next to "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3"

Both say the drivers cannot load because of a 'Code 31' if that helps?

Thank you to anyone who can help me. I ask for simple answers because I'm terrible with this stuff.

Thanks again!
    Amie :(

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry to hear your day , hope your all OK
    was the laptop involved in the accident at all and may have been damaged ?

as you can get into safe mode have you tried a restore
    start>
    programs>
    accessories>
    system tools>
    system restore>
    choose as date before the problem started

3. AmieHill

AmieHill Thread Starter

Thank you for replying. I answered once, but since I'm in safe mode, it apparently didn't take and knocked me offline.

The 'wreck' was more of a slide on the ice into the ditch so all is okay there and the computer wasn't damaged at all. It was nice & snug & warm in the back seat.

I've tried doing a system restore several times, but the only option it's offering is to restore it to yesterday's date and I know I have many other restore dates to choose from but they aren't showing up. Using yesterday's date didn't change anything. The original error message is still showing up and I can only get the one recovery date which doesn't help.

I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do! I've never had a problem taking the computer back and forth between houses before so I'm not sure why this has happened.

I have removed any and all passwords ever associated with the computer but that hasn't helped either.

Thanks for any help you can give!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice