Several windows live mail issues-help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rotnlab

I'm having two issues I can't seem to resolve on my laptop.

1. CSV file is sent as an attachment. If I get the email on the server or download to my phone it will open as excel. If I download to windows live mail inbox it is converted to txt file. I checked file association and csv should open in excel but the issue is more that it is coverted already to txt when it lands in my inbox. I have not tried to convert teh txt file back to csv but I've never had this issue before so I'm trying to figure out why it changed.

2. When something is sent as a zip file, when I go to save then extract, it creates the saved folder but then the files do not show up in the extracted folder so I cannot do anything with them. If I go to another computer in my house (on with the same operating system) I can extract and save them, then email as separate files to my laptop.

This is making me believe I have some malware or a program changed some setting that I cannot locate. I am not home to double check but I believe I am running Windows XP.
Thank you for any help. I tried searching the web but couldn't not find anything.
Nicole

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
For No. 2 - first save the ZIP file (make sure its from someone you know! - most emails with ZIP files are viruses). Then OPEN (not extract) the ZIP file. Make sure you see the contents in there before extracting.

As to No.1 - the file itself shows up as a .txt file and not .csv? a .csv is essentially a text file formatted with a comma. I know that Windows Live Mail has a preview file option would show up like a text file. If you tried to save the attachment, does it show as a .txt or .csv?

rotnlab

Thank you for your reply.

For number 2- I have tried that and that didn't work either. They are files from people I know. I can see when saving and have tried extracting and saving and neither works. It creates the folder where it says they wills ave them but the folder is always empty.

Number 1: Yes the file shows up in the inbox as txt. If I catch it on the server or on my phone before it downloads to the computer it is a csv. If saving the attachment once it is in the inbox shows up as txt and it will not convert back to csv.I do not use the preview file option.

Thank you again for any assistance,
Nicole

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Press the Windows Key and Pause/Break button. This will bring up your computer information.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Who supplies the email? G-Mail? Hotmail?

rotnlab

Verizon. I know it has to be my computer because I can access it on other devices as the csv. Thank you again for helping me. The zip is a new issue becuase I've never had a problem with that but i'm not sure about teh csv-I can't recall if i've been sent those types before as attachments.
Nicole

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online