Several Windows XP Critical Updates Released Today

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
These are the ones that appeared on my Windows XP SP2 computers after running a scan at the Windows Updates site:

Internet Explorer 6.0 cumulative update(KB916281)

Windows Script 5.6.0.8831 update(KB917344)

Windows XP updates(KB917953, KB914389, KB918439, KB911280)

Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2006(KB890830)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bearone2

Banned
whoopeeeee

and i bet folks'll be back about thursday wondering why they're having problems. :cool:

There were 10 total for my machine. I run office 2003 also. I was thrilled.

Now I prolly need to defrag. :D :p

I got eight upgrades and I gave up on running any kind of office I now use Open Office and it is several times faster then Microsoft Office. My computer is running just fine with all of these upgrades in it. I guess I am just lucky.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
They're installed in all 3 of my computers, and everything is working fine. :D (y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, they were installed on the 2 I have running when I posted earlier. I was right about the thrashing my system HDD though. I defragged because it made a real mess of it. :D

Other than that, no difference I can notice. Seems good.

I picked up my updates tonight and even though I have cable internet it seems like I have no internet at all, not even dialup! I ran a system restore back before the updates, and it is still sssslllloowww. 290 seconds later I still don't have a full page load here. Bill Gates, I hate you; I want to go to bed, not deal with the problems you've created on my computer. Linnux here I come!

Love it when people blame Gates for their own misconfigured systems. Did you EVER stop to think your ISP may be having a problem?

jmwills, yes I did consider that, but dismissed it when I remembered everything was floating along fine before the update, and my other computer...which runs off of the same router, without that update, was running fine even when I was trying to fix the problem. Went back one more day on the system restore and things are once again floating fine! I am no novice like some people that make their way to the site here...it will be a while before I allow that update to run on this computer again. Thank God for system restore it has saved me twice now. If you have XP and don't know about it you should read up on it. My friend has been trying hard to convince me to switch to Linnux and it may be time I listened to him. His name is John!

CNN reports that Bill Gates is giving up his day-to-day role at the company.

The system patches have had no reported issues. You may be confusing this problem with a driver update that you inadvertently downloaded also.

Hi
My machine automatically updates at 3am. Yesterday I came into work and found my machine rebooted, so I checked the Event Viewer and it showed the following updates:
KB914389
KB913580
KB911280
KB917953
KB917344
Internet Expl KB916281
Internet Expl KB918439
Media Player KB917734

I was not able to open or delete any files on a networked or mapped drive. I researched the error message and found that someone had the same problem in Feb of 2005 as a result of KB8885250. Their solution was to uninstall that KB. (see www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1109429833)

So, yesterday I uninstalled each KB, one at a time, and rebooted in between, and I *think* I needed to uninstall all of them to get my functionality back. I have to remove them again from my computer this morning, because of course, they got downloaded again. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had problems like this with these recent updates?

Thanks,
Ella Davis
SQA
Vector Software, Inc.

Hi--
I uninstalled the updates in reverse order today (instead of installed order, as i did yesterday), so that I found my system functional again after removing KB914389. Now I just need to figure out how to get automatic updates but not this one!

Ella Davis
SQA
Vector Software

Simple enough to do by chnaging the options to download but let you choose when and what to install with a Custom Install. You can then tell the Update feature to "not bother you" about the troublesome update anymore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online