1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Severe Desktop problem Not seen this before

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Roo, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roo

Roo Thread Starter

Hi all, I really hope you can help me out here as I am totally stuck! Basically my Father needed some maintenance doing on his laptop running Windows XP.

First I ran windows washer 5.0 and then ran fix it utilities, cleared out invalid registry links and then cleared up lots of unused icons on the desktop with the intention of doing a full defrag after rebooting.

Normally this would not be a problem however; his desktop changed to this after rebooting, screenshot here http://www.geocities.com/primusheat/stuck.gif

Do not get me wrong, I am more than above average computer user mainly Linux and BSD however I cannot get the screen to change back to normal.

These are the current problems I am having since the reboot. A) I cannot drag a desktop icon into position or drag an item into the recycle bin. The only way is too right click and select delete. B) In the control panel the taskbar and start menu icon is there but nothing happens when I double click it. The only way I can change the taskbar setting is to right click on the taskbar itself to access the settings.

So far yes I have tried all the usual things, like changing the themes, display etc; however you will see from the screenshot, I cannot get rid of the panel on the left of the desktop and it is incredibly annoying.

I am a strong believer in RTFM and yes I have been through google and read the help files etc to no avail. Maybe it is something simple I am overlooking and as my mind works in Unix/Linux, Windows is not my preferred choice: P

Even more embarrassing, I also run a tech support forum here in the UK too, so if someone can help me out with this windows issue, I would appreciate it, and in exchange I will help some other poor souls on your forum.

Many thanks in advance and if you need more data about the laptop ask and I will supply details.

Kind Regards

Roo

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

The link doesn't work for me. Try attaching the image here.

3. Roo

Roo Thread Starter

4. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

I've never seen that before. Try clicking on it and hitting ALT-F4, or going into the folder options and clicking "Use Windows Classic folders". One of those may work.

5. Roo

Roo Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, already tried that and it does not work!

6. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

did you turn off active desktop?

7. Roo

Roo Thread Starter

One sec Mr Webby, I am just trying somethings, I cannot get folder options to launch in control panel either.

Please refresh my memory as too where active desktop is my brain is fried right now. Windows is not my fave O/S

8. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

I can't remember eiether.

9. Roo

Roo Thread Starter

Well I have just spent time on the phone with my father and we are going to phone Dell Tomorrow and get a technician out to look at the laptop, this boxen cost £1,450 bare bones approx $2,500 USD top of the range.

I suspect a hardware failure as it is not writing to disk as fast as it should and is failing to write data where it should write.....I am going to ghost the HD over to one of my other desktops and keep you all posted on this issue.

I feel I have been blaming myself over something I have done but even people at http://www.annoyances.org do not have a solution either.

Cannot wait for the Dell technician to try and fix this without a clean install, even still if it takes a clean install, that is unacceptable and a sign of future problems......we shall be demanding a replacement laptop from Dell including an upgrade.

Thanks for all your help and I posted help posts back in the *nix forums in exchange as promised.

Kind Regards
    Roo

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!