1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Severe Drops in Counterstrike

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lean, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lean

Lean Thread Starter

I have the same problem as roadkill1234. I had a GF 4 MX, switched it out with a 9700 Pro, and later put the GF 4 MX back in. In any case, I was running constant 100's with the GF 4 before I replaced it. But now, I get severe fps drops. I have tried reinstalling Windows XP Pro but to no avail. At the moment, I am using a ATI 9000 Pro 128 MB and I get drops down to 40! Norton does not detect any viruses on my computer. In my case, could there be another problem?

2. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

did u delete the old drivers for ure geforce card

3. Lean

Lean Thread Starter

Deathdealer: Yes

Someone suggested that my cpu still recognized my card my video card as the 9700 Pro, therefore giving the agp slot more power than required, creating a surplus that was frying the slot. When I touch the video card, it is hot, but I do not think it's abnormally hot. Anyway, in response to this, I reinstalled Windows and the problem still exists.

4. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

what resoloution are u running at

and make sure u have it at opengl

not software or direct3d

5. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

40fps isnt so bad or is it?

i never knew how to check how m uch u are running at how did u

no that u were getting 100fps what do u type in console

6. McTimson

McTimson

Your CPU would have nothing to do with it...

Your motherboard should automatically detect the change, but if anything, the video card wouldn't be getting enough power, not more. Check the AGP settings in your BIOS to make sure.

What I suggest is to turn off the FPS monitoring and just play...is 40fps really that unplayable?

7. Murdoc2k

Murdoc2k

could it be Norton thats laggin you? :rolleyes:

I know for a fact that Norton gives a big drag on not only ram, cpu, but Video card as well.. I have no idea why but I get bad fps when I play with it at times...

8. Lean

Lean Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Alright, when playing with the 60 FPS lock, dropping to 40 FPS is not so bad. However, dropping from 100 can, excuse me, be a pain in the ***. Disgusted, I have temporarily put a stop on CS because I am confident that my system is, if not overkill, efficient enough to play CS. My specs are as follow:

2.4 p4 533
    768 DDR
    ATI 9000 Pro 128 MB
    35 GB Free

I play CS, or on second thought, TRY to play CS at 640 x 480 in OpenGL. I should not be dropping at all, and so I have determined that something is VERY wrong here.

I have tried disabling Norton but to no avail. Should I be looking at buying a new computer?

9. Lean

Lean Thread Starter

You said to "check the AGP settings in your BIOS to make sure." Just how exactly would I do that? I think it varies for each mobo, but Dell cases are so compact that I can't seem to find the company of the mobo. I can tell you that the AGP App. is set at 128 MB.

10. vesselle

vesselle

bios is an internal setting.

when you boot up your pc, at the very start, you'll get a msg that tells you to hit a certain key combo if you want to go into your pc config settings. if you don't, it proceeds with bootup and loads your OS.

anyway, hit the combo to get into your bios settings. don't change anything, but go in there and make a note of them and back out without saving any changes and proceed with your logon.

that's how you check them. :)

V***V

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice