1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Severe problems containing quite a few things.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Italia, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

Well I am sitting here writing this message on an old apple laptop because my poor PC is probably about to die.

Last night some problems started to occur, and I've had popups for a while now, but I've always just stayed in offline mode for Internet explorer to stop this problem. I tried to get some software from www.download.com to clear my spyware, and then problems started happening.

It could have been that, it could have been anything, I really don't know.

The name of the program was spyware doctor or something of that nature. Didn't do anything after scanning because it wanted huge amounts of money and didn't show me that it could really delete them just scan for them, so there was no way I was going to register that program. After removing, and a few other operations on the computer I encounted some severe problems.

I have Ewido Anti-Malware and it scanned all night, deleting what said to be 400 some files. Cleaning, quaranting, deleting, and blocking. Well, today to no avail, I have this little boxes with jibberish ontop and it just has the ok button to click, after that it just keeps coming back. I am trying to run program sor get onto the internet, and there seems to be so much going on inside my computer that a full gig of ram is being used for spyware, viruses, and malware.

After a few reboots I am running Ewido again for a last hope, and then going to delete most of my program files and just reinstall if that solves the problem. Anything I don't know of, use, or should have I will delete that way since it is the easiest. If this is not a good idea please tell me, but there really doesn't seem to be any other way with my computer moving at this speed. When I bought my computer I did not get the XP disc so I can not reformat unless there is another way.

I am also thinking about doing a system recovery back a few days..

Is there anything I have over looked?

I am using Windows XP SP2, 1GB ram, and I don't think anything else is needed to be said. However if there is feel free to ask and if I can get the information for you I will.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe:

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Scroll down to the download section

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

I can't get onto the internet from that computer at this time, without me doing anything it's running at 100% and the internet won't even load.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Get it on a floppy or CD from some where, without it we cannot fix u

5. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

I don't have any floppies, what about a music CD? Would that work?
    CD-R?

6. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

7. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

Well at this point I can't even run the computer.
    It won't even load explorer.exe

Is there not a way to boot up in a different mode so I can system restore to a month ago or something?

8. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Safe mode - start tapping f8 at the firt balck screen after power on

9. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

Well I am going through safe mode to try and restore to a previous date, if this works or doesn't I'll be back to give an update!

10. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

Well for now it looks like everythign has been resolved from the restore! Thanks for the help!

11. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

I would now post a log to see what is in the system

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

13. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

rich m I do not need your help!

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know what, who cares? This is a public forum and you are not a Mod unless there is something I am missing, and there are risks here if this user does not learn from the experience and take on some prevention and that needs to happen quickly.

15. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

And there is a norm of not interrupting threads that have been started to fix a problem.

Ever heard of too many cooks spoil the broth.............

How do you know what they have until you see the log

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!