Severe Stability Problems with XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

idunnoe

Hello all, I'm new to these forums and am having a problem with my computer.

It has fairly severe stability issues ( normally crashing 5-10 times in any given day) with a computer I built a few months ago. I'm not overclocking any hardware, and I don't suspect it to be overheating.

Usually while running more than one program and alt-tabing between them, the computer will often flash a blue error screen quickly (too quick for me to read what it says) and reboot, later asking me to send error reports. These error reports usually point towards 'device drivers' and sometimes more specifically 'video drivers.'
At other times it won't show any error, just flash the blue screen and reboot.

Latley it has also started to just stop all together on occasion. No reboot, no error messages, nothing - It just stops. I then have to manually reboot it.

I suspect it to be a driver problem, or some of my hardware is going bad (the computer is less than a year old so i don't know how that could be) but I always have the latest drivers for my video card (these errors happen no matter what driver i download)

Using ad-aware and haven't found any kind of spy ware or any thing similar, i rarely download anything other than drivers anyway.
Like I said previously It's likely not overheating as I'm not overclocking anything and there are plenty of fans (nine) in my computer with good air flow.

(the computer is running strangely slow too, all games i play have to be on the very minimum settings to get a decent framerate, even though my specs are well above the recommended)

I really have no idea what is causing these problems, Is there something I have to do that I may have missed when initially building the computer to have it run smoothly?

the specs are:

MSI k8n Neo platinum MoBo
AMD 64 2800+ cpu
ATI radeon 9600
Giel (i think) 512 (pc 400) ram
Thermaltake purepower 420w psu
80g SATA hard drive

any help would greatly appreciated.

idunnoe

I turned off the auto reboot and found the error message i got is this:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8A1E4A, 0xF86B4BC8, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys

address BF8A1E4A base at BF00000, Date Stamp 422511a2

Does that help in finding out the problem any?

Try some of this. I know you've probaly done alot of this. I just want to cover all bases. We've all overlooked checking something, and If you didn't say you did it, I have to assume you didn't do it.

-Check the device manager. Assure there are no alert symbols on ANY driver. Even something unessential like a TV Tuner can cause system wide problems if there is not a proper driver for it.

-You have a newer motherboard and it's MSI. So is mine, and you should be able to find the inside tempature while running windows using their "corecenter". If it doesn't show problem temps, you can pretty much eliminate that.

- MSI mobo's also usually have an automatic overclocking feature. You might have that on, you can check it. It seems to work well as I always have it on, but it could certainly cause problems. Just refer to your owners guide or msi's website on how to do that.

- Gosh our specs are similar. I also have an ATI radeon 9600. Did you install ATI's control panel? I did that and my computer slowed to a crawl. I find it is usually best to go "drivers only" on everything. Gets rid of alot of unessesary control panels and such.

- It could be as simple as a loose PCI or AGP card. It could even be a loose cable going to a disk drive. Go in the case and make sure they're seated/connected tightly. It's not likely, but it's awful easy to check, and it's good maintenice anyway, since you'll probaly spray it out with some canned air while you're in there ;).

I also have a pretty new(I think) MSI board. MS-6734/KM400 Series, and I installed Motherboard moniter, a program to check the temperatures, and I don't think the sesors are very good.

It told me my processor was running at 170 F right when it started up and I put my finger on the heatsink(without burning myself) and it was cool as a cumber and it said the case temp was 80 and it couldn't be more than 75 F in the room and the case was open.

Point being don't always trust the temp senors.

You may want to make sure your Powersupply isn't being overworked. If you have 9 fans and all your other stuff. Even with 420 it might be too much. :/

idunnoe said:
I turned off the auto reboot and found the error message i got is this:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8A1E4A, 0xF86B4BC8, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys

address BF8A1E4A base at BF00000, Date Stamp 422511a2

Does that help in finding out the problem any?
Howdy folks...

idunnoe...

If this were my pc, I would updated the chip set, and the video drivers from the motherboard, and video card's manufactures website...

The address you are giving ( BF000000 ~ BFFFFFFF ) suggests ( along with win32k.sys ) that it is in the video area...

idunnoe

thanks for all the help guys.

I've checked corecenter, and everything is around the mid 30s for temperature (after leaving the computer on for a while and a bit of gaming), I usually leave the side of my case off anyway, so it's really unlikely its temperature, heatsink, video card, and ram are all hardly even warm to the touch.

I was using the official ati drivers (with control panel) but it was recommended to me to use 'omega ati drivers' not too sure what they are or how they're different but i'm still crashing with them everyso often, it does seem to be running a bit more smoothly though now that i do have them.
I also didnt find any conflicts in the device manager.

I thinks it's a good call on the psu being overworked, think i should maybe unplug a fan or 2?
There is more than one reason for the computer crashing, because smetimes it just locks up, and other times it'll give an error regarding video.

I've tried all of the official and unofficial video drivers i could but none seem to work. I'm also pretty sure I have the latest system chipset too.

Also, if this helps the computer locked up again, but i got a different error message:

Bad Pool Header

STOP: 0x00000019 ( 0x00000020, 0xE16FD240, 0xE16FD2C0, 0x0C100411)

Does that one help in figuring this out any?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online