SFC broken

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AndyA

If I run SFC /SCANNOW at a command prompt in my primary install of W2K SP2 with the W2K install CD in the first CD drive and the SP2 CD in the second CD drive, the Event Viewer System log will fill up (and roll over) with two types of errors:

-----
The protected system file %SYSTEMROOT%\DIRECTORY\FILENAME1.EXT could not be restored to its original, valid version. The file version of the bad file is VERSION# The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject. ].
-----

and:

-----
The system file %SYSTEMROOT%\DIRECTORY\FILENAME2.EXT could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [ No signature was present in the subject. ]. This file is necessary to maintain system stability.
-----

where %SYSTEMROOT%\DIRECTORY is the appropriate directory for the file in the W2K boot partition, FILENAME1.EXT and FILENAME2.EXT are files from the W2K install CD and VERSION# is the version number of FILENAME1.TXT. The %SystemRoot%\System32\DLLCACHE directory contains only files from the SP2 CD. No files from the install CD are present.

IOW, SFC can't manage to copy files from the W2K install CD into the cache and tries (but fails) to replace every file from the install CD that's still on the system. SFC is quite happy, it seems, with the files on the SP2 CD, since it places them in the cache and is not disturbed by their presence on the system.

Here's what I've looked at or tried:

1. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
the value names for SFC contain default values as follows:
SFCDisable: 0
SFCQuota: 0xFFFFFFFF
SFCScan: 0

Other than MSKB articles about these registry settings, I can find no detailed info regarding how W2K SFC works and how anomalies can be corrected.

2. The DLLCACHE directory contains 777 files taking up 136 MB of space. The partition that W2K is on has over 2 GB of free space, so hard disk space is not an issue.

Running SFC /PURGECACHE to clear out DLLCACHE, running it to completion, rebooting and running it again changes nothing -- the Event Viewer System log still fills up with the same error messages and the DLLCACHE directory fills with the same SP2 files.

3. The W2K and SP2 CD's are both found by SFC. If I remove either one of the CDs before I launch SFC, SFC will complain and ask that the CD be inserted into the drive.

4. The values of the "source locations" in the registry are correct:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
ServicePackSourcePath: CD2_drive_letter:\
SourcePath: CD1_drive_letter:\

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
SourcePath: CD1_drive_letter:\i386

Again, I have 2 CD drives and SFC is run with the W2K install CD in drive 1 and the SP2 CD in drive 2. (The SP2 CD is a copy of the exploded SP2 network download, W2KSP2.EXE.)

5. I expanded NT5.CAT from the W2K install CD and it compares with the version of NT5.CAT in %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

(I believe that NT5.CAT is the file catalog from the original install that SFC uses to check for file integrity.)

6. The %SystemRoot%\Setupapi.log is over 3.5 MB and contains entries that correspond to the first type of error message in the Event Viewer System log:

[DATE TIME #.#]
The protected system file (%SYSTEMROOT%\DIRECTORY\FILENAME1.EXT) was
successfully unprotected.
Copying file CD1_drive_letter:\i386\FILENAME1.EX_ to
%SYSTEMROOT%\DIRECTORY\FILENAME1.EXT.
No signature was present in the subject.
Install failed, attempting to restore original files.

7.IMPORTANT! An alternate install of W2K SP2 is on a separate partition of the same hard drive, but this partition is not assigned a disk letter in the primary install, so the primary install is blissfully ignorant of its existence. SFC /SCANNOW runs normally in the alternate install with the same CDs in the same drives. The Event Viewer System log shows just two entries -- SFC start and SFC stop.

It's a good bet that in the primary install, SFC's file data, the CatRoot CAT files, has been corrupted. I'd like to know how to "reset" that file data and/or how to identify which of the CAT files is responsible. When I compared the CAT files in the primary install with those in the alternate install, all the files common to both were identical. There are a number of additional CAT files in the primary install. I don't know what installed them and whether it would help or hurt if I deleted them.

8. I performed an update reinstall (aka "inplace upgrade via a manual repair") in the primary install and then reapplied SP2 (which had been overwritten), but it didn't change a thing. The DLLCACHE folder only had a single file in it (whose name I forgot to note) immediately after the update reinstall. After SP2 was applied and SFC /SCANNOW was run, DLLCACHE was still filled only with SP2 files and the Event Viewer System log was still stuffed with the same error messages.

I then replaced my primary install from tape to where it was before I performed the first SFC /SCANNOW (*way* before the update reinstall). I'll stay put, with SFC broken, until I can get some suggestions about what to try next.

What's likely to be the cause of the errors that SFC is generating?
What should I try next to get SFC to function correctly?

TIA and regards, Andy :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.