1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SFC Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tabvla, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

This question has to do with running Windows SFC utility (System File Checker) an an XP Pro System.

The original XP installed was an OEM license version prior to SP1. The system has been updated and is currently SP2 with April updates installed.

If you run "sfc scannow" it will repeatedly ask you to insert the original CD (see fig) so that it can compare files to the original CD files.

My concern is that the CD is prior to SP1 and obviously the last thing that one wants is for Windows to reinstall an old file. In fact SP2 was such a major upgrade that one can almost think of SP2 as being a new operating system. My understanding is that very little remains unchanged of the original XP after SP2.

Does anyone know for certain if it is safe to insert the CD as the SFC utility is asking for? Is the SFC utility smart enough to know not to overwrite a new file on disk with an old file from the CD?

TiA

T.

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have SP2, it should not overwrite any files to insert the CD. In fact. it may tell you that it has the wrong CD and want the XP SP2 one.

3. NICK G

NICK G Banned

4. padutch

padutch

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Thank you, Elvandil, Nick and Padutch, for your feedback and suggestions. :)

The question highlights a wider issue to which I have not yet found a satisfactory solution, not even from Microsoft TechNet.

XP SP2 was for all practical purposes a "new" OS built on the NT kernel. Once a system was upgraded to SP2 it was no longer compatible with pre-SP2 builds. This means that if a user has a pre-SP1 OEM XP CD or even a full product XP CD, it will be rejected by the SP2 build.

So Elvandil is correct. It will ask for an XP SP2 CD.

The comments by Mike Boeson (link provided by Nick) is interesting. I will investigate it further.

I have in the past attempted to follow the slipstreaming SP2 solution given by Paul Thurrot (link provided by padutch) but have not being able to get it to work with an OEM CD. The reason for this being, most likely, that the OEM CD does not contain a full XP OS.

I expect many users to continue using XP until 2012 and finding solutions to post-SP2 issues is going to become increasingly important.

Needs some more thought...... :confused::confused::confused:

T.

6. padutch

padutch

You need to go back to the link that Nick supplied . On that page you should follow the link to http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html . I think this should solve your problems.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Thanks Padutch

Marc Liron's solution needs some very careful thought. One of the concerns that I have with his article is that he does not mention XP SP2 at all. For example, copying the I386 folder from an original CD (prior to SP1) would be really looking for trouble. There is no way of knowing which of these critical files had changed with the release of SP2.

Possibly, one of the biggest errors of judgement that Microsoft made was to release XP SP2 as a Service Pack. This should have been called a new OS.

T.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice