1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sfc /scannow at end of run wants CD2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by firstcomputersvc, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firstcomputersvc

firstcomputersvc Thread Starter

Here is the fix for sfc /scannow asking for XP Professional CD2. Which as far as I am concerned is just an error on the os creation side of Microsoft as there is NO Win XP Pro CD2. Unless you consider WMediaCenter the second edition of XP Pro. This error is caused by Windows Media Center OS.
    This afternoon I searched for the answer and here is what worked for me: EDIT REGISTRY WITH CAUTION< BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO
    Start, run, regedit, Hkey Local Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/setup, when opened, look for the last item which is Source Path, open this to edit it and as it was not reading my C: for a repair, I had to redirect the path to D: or whatever letter for the cd drive that has your original os cd, once changed, hit retry and then SFC will read that drive and finish correctly. Leave regedit open so that you can change the letter back to C: or your windows drive for future functions.

Obviously you would not like it to look for a repair in the C: drive as this is where it has found errors, so it is best to direct it to the cd rom original files. And as someone pointed out they copied i386 to C so it could look there, it won't, because sfc is not designed to look to C for repair, it wants the cd rom drive.

I had to assume that sfc is designed that way after looking at alot of computers that had the source path already on C:

If you run sfc /scannow on Windows XP Professional w/SP2 it will immediately prompt you for your Win XP Pro w/SP2 cd, and then proceed with Windows File Protection.

But make a note of this for future Windows Media Center sfc /scannow runs.

This was my original post in 2009 but today in Jan 2013 I am at the end of a Media Center 2005 w/update Rollup 2 (No SP3 disk) sfc /scannow and it wants the XP Pro CD2 and I have tried every version of XP and had to cancel my sfc right at the end which I assume it is looking for SP3. So I am going to slipstream SP3 into Media Center 2005 and see if that will work.
    Usually it asks for the CD2 at the beginning of the scan and if the registry is changed to look in the cd-rom drive it will complete with no problem. But I do not run scans of Media Center that often so I will continue trying to find a way to complete this sfc scan.

2. firstcomputersvc

firstcomputersvc Thread Starter

I hit cancel at the request for XP Pro CD2 and skipped 5 or 6 files at the end, wish I knew what they were?

3. AtlBo

AtlBo

Nice information...thanks...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice