sfc /scannow Fails with this error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zorgan

C:\Users\Administrator>sfc /scannow
Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.
].

Checked Both RPC service`s are running

also checked http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296241 where it explains a work around.....unsure what is wrong, hoping somebody can help...

what i did notice though was that the particular Certificate called "No Liability Accepted" by verisign is expired, would this be causing my issue?

last thing i want to do is do a re-install (repair) as it clears the registry, but i have alot of things installed on my system and configured so i would rather try to get this small issue resolved so i can use my file / print sharing.

hope somebody can help thanks.

zorgan

First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate your input on this problem.

I tried the sfc /revert comes up with the same error...

i am running xp professional edition.

I have onboard lan connected to the bedroom which lays a router, then i plug the router into the pc in the bedroom (reason the router is in the bedroom was so i could network up with my neighbor in case you are wondering why i have this setup) the bedroom window is better for the connection wireless.

and a PCI Ethernet card connected to WAN (internet)

it WAS working, everything was working a treat, but i used software called Autoruns ? by sysinternals - i may have deleted something by accident, that something i can`t remember!! :/

under the "drivers" section in the software however, i may add that i do not notice srv.sys file there, it is within the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder though

but if i demonstrate with this screenshot, it is not listed.....

run chkdsk /f and then try sfc /scannow.

if the OS boots the file you deleted wasn't that important.
Me trying to guess what file you deleted would be pointless.

i take it your network connection is the problem?
try to reinstall the network config. tcp/ip and reinstall the NETWORK card drivers.

and if all this fails. you'll hav to do a repair.
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/499568-guide-reinstall-windows.html

Ide personally only do a repair under a totally non bootable system.
always try to fix the OS if its boots!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online