1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Share internet connection between virtual PC and host PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by skoman, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skoman

skoman Thread Starter

Hi,
    Any help will be much appreciated guys!
    I 'm trying to give an internet to that virtual machine JanusVM
    which I power by VMplayer.
    So far I have no success.
    My ISP map my MAC to my IP so when I bridge the ethernet adapter of JanusVM to the host PC I do not have any internet at all.
    I tried to NAT the virtual ethernet adapter either, but no difference.
    My OS is WinXp Pro.
    Any ideas ?

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Excuse my ignorance, but what is JanusVM, and what is so special about it.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, this doesn't help us determine why VMWARE isn't talking on the Internet, that should be independent of the guest O/S.

4. skoman

skoman Thread Starter

Like I was expected, the problem is that my ISP map my MAC address to my IP.
    I talked to them and I know for sure it is impossible to give an internet to the virtual machine if I use the bridge networking.
    Because this way two different MAC addresses try to be part of my ISP network.One is my MAC address (which my ISP knows) the other one is the MAC address of the virtual machine (JanusVM), which my ISP does not know, so it blocks it and refuse to make it part of the network.It gives him an IP address, but it is private IP address which can not talk to any computer and especially not to the internet.
    They want me to pay extra money for that new MAC address ( new IP ).It does not matter that this MAC address is physical address of a virtual machine, not a real computer.

If I use ICS (ipnat.sys) build in XP (and disable VMware NAT connection option), I can connect the virtual machine to the internet.The problem is that the main purpose of JanusVM is anonymity.
    It use tor, samba, vpn and other applications.So u connect JanusVM to the internet , than u make a VPN from your PC to the JanusVM and than u exit to the internet.So JanusVM is like a mediator between u and internet.You brouse internet through JanusVM.
    So I can not manage to get it working when I use NAT.

BTW It worked with bridge networking.I said to my ISP that I want to try for free the second IP lease for an hour (they gave me an hour) and than to deside wheater I'll buy a second IP or not.

5. JohnWill

Why can't you connect through a router and run TOR from the VM? Why do you need a second public IP address?

6. skoman

skoman Thread Starter

Because I do not have a router.

7. JohnWill

So, spend the $20-30 for a router and solve the problem the easy way!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice