1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

share My Documents

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by compo_martion, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compo_martion

compo_martion Thread Starter

hi,
    i have 3 computers. all with the same usernames and passwords and im wanting to share the same My Documents Folder for the different users
    i.e all computers logged in as Martin will access the same My Documents folder with the same saved files and all computers logged in as bob will access bobs My documents folder etc

i currently have it set up as follows

i have a second hard drive in computer 1 with the different users My Documents Folder, ive shared them and connected all the computers to the network and configured them to recognise the My Documents folder on Computer 1.
    I can see all the files in there but the trouble im having is saving files to it, all i keep getting is
    '\\m-pc\d\Martin\Documents\_________.txt
    You don't have permission to save in this location.
    Contact the administrator to obtain permission.'

how do i obtain the permission? or is there an easier way to do it than the way im trying to set it up??

thank you in advance for any help
    Martin

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

If all users on these computers are to have open access to some documents, and they can all see each computer, then just use the Public documents folder to store documents, or other files, on each computer. The Public name, in Win7, is just like the older named "All Users."

3. compo_martion

i want each user to be completly private form the other users, so only that user can read and write their own documents stored on computer 1 on all the other computers if u get me!!

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think you are going to need a "Home Server" to do this.

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

You can set individual permissions on folders at each of the computers.

6. compo_martion

i used to be able to do it on win xp so cant understand y i cant on win 7! there must be a way i just cant figure out how, i can get the other computers to view the files but cant change them or save to it

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

It's still all in the permissions. Win7 has better security than XP, and it's just a matter of learning how to manage them. You will be able to have full access however you want, once you figure it out. Pick up a book on the subject.

8. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice