1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

share my folder remotely

Discussion in 'Networking' started by number, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. number

number Thread Starter

Hello

I have a project in AUTOCAD in my folder PC which I need to share remotely. Basically the remote person should be able to access the files exactly like I do, so that we can both work in CAD in the files at the same time... I tried to search around and I didnt find much: teamviewer can only let view the files, not edit , remote desktop requires admin privileges and I dont have a password ... dropbox or googledrive are not a solution because they require to send data back and forth... while i need the other person to access my same files in my same folder

any other utility can someone recommend?

2. Sponsor

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Are you looking to both of you being able to simultaneously work on the same file with AutoCAD? If so, I don't think that's even possible. Granted I last used AutoCAD about 20 some odd years ago. So maybe they added that functionality.

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Google Drive and Dropbox means you both use the same file at the same time.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Even if there's a solution out there that provides simultaneous access to a given file, it doesn't mean it will work right with a given application. The problem is if the software in question has no way of dealing with multiple accesses to a given data file. At best, the first user that accesses the file where it's opened as a working file will lock any editing access from others trying to gain access to edit. At worst, the file gets corrupted. Applications/OS' that are cluster aware or act like a cluster system have coding that deals with multiple accesses from different sources. An example of this is VMware. If you don't use a SAN where you configure a LUN that multiple hypervisor hosts can access and write to, the other option is to use an NFS share. This is done so multiple hypervisor hosts can access the datastore which contains the VM configuration and data to allow things like live migration.

6. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Crazy complicated for sharing an AutoCAD file.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

That's why I asked the question if he's looking to just share the file or to do simultaneous access to the same file with multiple people being able to edit the same file at the same time...ie Sharepoint.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188784