1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Share my PC's internet using router (pc to router and router to other)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kiran1991, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiran1991

kiran1991 Thread Starter

Okay, here's what i have to say in brief:
    I have this internet connection connected to my pc, i have another NIC installed for routing this internet to other computers. I have TP-LINK Wireless router and all I want to do is connect the internet to my PC first then connect router to my PC via another NIC so that the router can route that internet!
    Any help is highly appreciated; i have been trying hard but really end up in dead-end everytime :eek:
    I connected my router's WAN port via 2nd NIC and set the router to static mode (don't know what i have to do here)

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    would you describe your setup - why not just connect the router to the internet cable on the PC and then distribute using the router
    detail would be useful

4. laker_fan

laker_fan

why not use DHCP

5. kiran1991

kiran1991 Thread Starter

Here's my setup
    IP: 172.16.100.76
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 172.16.100.1
    DNS1: 119.2.56.98
    DNS2: 119.2.60.226

I could connect the internet using my router directly but that way my bandwidth gets messup up to a factor of 10 (don't know the exact reason why). So I was wondering if I could connect the internet first to my PC and send to the router using my other NIC and then route as required (for my phone)
    Thankyou

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand why you want to use the router that way, but you can do it.

On your computer with internet access you can enable ICS on the connection with internet access or if you are connected to a router you can bridge the two connections. Then use that TP-Link as an ethernet switch and wireless access point as follows.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

7. kiran1991

kiran1991 Thread Starter

thankyou, i just bridged the two LANs and used router in static IP mode, that worked! (n)but the bandwidth is still 0.5 mbps instead od 2mbps(n)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you mean that you get 2 Mbps on the PC with the bridge, but only 0.5 Mbps on a computer connected to the 2nd router?

If yes, are you connecting to the router's WAN port? If so, try using a LAN port instead. If that gives you full speed it means the WAN part of the 2nd router is defective (I have a router like that).

9. kiran1991

kiran1991 Thread Starter

Umm... something like that but more worse... if i connect directly to my pc without any router or bridge, i get 2 mb. If i bridge the connections, i get 0.5 on all including the first PC too. So now i tried ICS instead of bridge connection and everything's fine, maybe there happened to be issues with my bridge IP (my ISP distributes internet speed based on IP, LOL)

10. kiran1991

kiran1991 Thread Starter

i did some tests now, my pc's ip and my iphone's ip are the same... Is that because my iphone is using the PC's shared internet connection? :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice