Share printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JudyA

I have a new laptop and would like to be able to print from it. I thought it would be easy to "share" the printer I use with my desktop but I've hit a wall. I have wireless connection throughout the house.:confused:

mrss

Overall view - you can describe your PC's and their operating systems and get more details.

Ensure that both PC's are networked with the same workgroup name.

Then in the printers screen on the desktop, you right click the printer and allow sharing.

Then you add the printer on the laptop.

If you have firewalls, permissions may be needed to allow printer sharing.

LOL - it took me 2 weeks to do the above. Now I can do it in 20 minutes. It should take 2 minutes.

here is a link from Terrynet in the networking forum that may give you some good info and get you started.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Owner/Desktop/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

JudyA

Thanks for all the support. I am trying to share a HP Media laptop to an Epson Stylus Color 880 printer... I'll try your suggestions. Good to hear it took someone 20 minutes to do it!! J

Printer sharing should be pretty straight forward:

It would probably be a good idea,before you start down the definition path,to disable any firewalls that you have running,and disable encryption,if running.These sometimes get in the way of a clean definition process.When printers are shared,then turn them on(firewall/encryption),one at a time to see if you are still shared.If not you then know what to tweek.

Hopefully,here is another link,with yet some more sharing tips.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?forumID=62&threadID=232132&start=0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online