1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Share printer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JudyA, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JudyA

JudyA Thread Starter

I have a new laptop and would like to be able to print from it. I thought it would be easy to "share" the printer I use with my desktop but I've hit a wall. I have wireless connection throughout the house.:confused:

2. mrss

mrss Guest

Overall view - you can describe your PC's and their operating systems and get more details.

Ensure that both PC's are networked with the same workgroup name.

Then in the printers screen on the desktop, you right click the printer and allow sharing.

Then you add the printer on the laptop.

If you have firewalls, permissions may be needed to allow printer sharing.

LOL - it took me 2 weeks to do the above. Now I can do it in 20 minutes. It should take 2 minutes.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

here is a link from Terrynet in the networking forum that may give you some good info and get you started.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Owner/Desktop/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Sorry.Bad link.

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

6. Cyps

Cyps

7. JudyA

JudyA Thread Starter

Thanks for all the support. I am trying to share a HP Media laptop to an Epson Stylus Color 880 printer... I'll try your suggestions. Good to hear it took someone 20 minutes to do it!! J

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Printer sharing should be pretty straight forward:

It would probably be a good idea,before you start down the definition path,to disable any firewalls that you have running,and disable encryption,if running.These sometimes get in the way of a clean definition process.When printers are shared,then turn them on(firewall/encryption),one at a time to see if you are still shared.If not you then know what to tweek.

Hopefully,here is another link,with yet some more sharing tips.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?forumID=62&threadID=232132&start=0

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!