1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Share some folders but not all on mapped network drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robdam1001, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robdam1001

robdam1001 Thread Starter

Xp Pro "Server" which hosts a small offices critical files is being accessed by 4 office XP Pro PC's. Workgroup Environment, not domain. Is it possible for me to set permissions so that only certain users, (from the 4 office XP Pro PC's), have access to certain folders/files on the mapped network drive? If so, How can I accomplish this please? Thanks!

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

Right-Click on the folder/network path or whatever -> Properties -> Sharing -> Permissions -> Set your permission -> Save

3. robdam1001

Thx for your reply but how do I select which users have specific access? I guess my REAL question is how do I configure the users? Thx x2.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

1) I would turn off Simple File Sharing. This will keep anyone not given specific permissions to access the share from accessing it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

2) On the XP server. Create a username and password for everyone that needs file access.

3) set permissions on that share so only users you pick can access it. See link above for setting permissions.

5. robdam1001

1) already done, thx

2) is this done from "Control Panel", "User Accounts" or other?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice