1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared Data Previous Versions Questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dant22185, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

I have a question pertaining to file share restoring in windows server 2003 environments. At work we have many windows file servers that share data throughout our network. I am attempting to restore specific files like word docs / excel docs but don't want to restore an entire folder.

The options I have available is to restore to a previous version on the entire file share or drill down into specific folders where I can also run a restore to previous versions. However, within the specific file folder I cannot run a restore to previous versions on a document. The option is available to do so as I can click on the tab in the properties of the document: 'previous versions' but once I click on the tab there is not a listing of dates to restore from.

Any ideas why I cannot see this on specific documents like work docs, or excel docs, but can see previous versions on the folder they are hosted in or the share name?

I have attached copies of screen shots of what I am referring to.

Attached Files:

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is why you invest in a good software backup solution such as Backup Exec. There are other methods which allow for fast file level recovery which are built into SAN and some NAS devices which also have SAN functionality such as snap shots.

3. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

We have backup utilities similar but not available for my use. I work as the help desk team leader and was just trying to see if why folders and shares are available for backup but not the files themselves.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice