1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shared documents opens as read only on one pc 5 others with full control

Discussion in 'Networking' started by txles, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. txles

txles Thread Starter

we are on a p2p network with 4) windows xp, and 2) windows 7x64. I have a problem with one pc opening files in a shared folder. Only one pc will open the files in the folder as read only and the others will open with full control. I have checked if someone has the files open and no one did. I have checked the share attributes and they are set to full control to all users. The files are in word and xl and did not try anything other type of files. Is there a setting that makes the files read only for one user? This system is the owner and boss (win xp) and need a fix fast.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are they all a part of the same workgroup and all sharing the same IP scheme? Are all windows firewalls turned off. if it is read only my guess would be that his computer is not a part of the same workgroup as the others and therefore not a member of All Users.

3. txles

txles Thread Starter

that seems to work but it does not explain why there are 2 computers (xp7)not in the workgroup that can open and edit the shred files.
    Thank you for the fix Keep up the good work.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Are their user accounts set up on the computer acting as the "server" sharing the files?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't need to have computers in the same workgroup for file sharing--it just makes it more convenient. For example, in XP's My Network Places you can use 'view workgroup computers' to find all the computers in the workgroup.

6. txles

txles Thread Starter

ok What caused the one computer to have read only. how do I fix it when it happens again?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What fixed it the last time?

8. txles

txles Thread Starter

added it to the work group and rebooted 3 times

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let's hope it was a glitch and does not occur again.

The only remote idea I've had is that maybe you have Home (as opposed to Professional) versions of Windows and ran into the "maximum of 5 simultaneous connections" limit. The biggest trouble with that idea is that you wouldn't even have read access in that situation.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice