1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared folder access over network

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hypheni, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hypheni

hypheni Thread Starter

Recently a few computers in our domain has switched to Win 7 from Win XP. Now after sharing folder shared folder are not visible while accessing that computer from our Win CE device. Windows XP or Win 7 users can browse shared folders but not WinCE device.

Media Streaming, Network discovery, File sharing is Off. Firewall is turn off.

Any ideas what could be the reason ?.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Network discovery and File sharing need to be turned on. Why did you turn the Firewall off? I recommend that you turn it back on and configure it for network access.

Do you share Pictures, Music and Video in your Domain? If not, leave Media Streaming off. If you do, turn it on.

3. hypheni

hypheni Thread Starter

Yes, generally I keep Media streaming off and Firewall on. But for solving this issue was trying some random steps but nothing helped.

The problem is windows 7 shared folder can be seen by other domain computers but not by the win ce devices. However I can access windows 7 drive by \\hostname\D$

4. hypheni

hypheni Thread Starter

Any ideas guys ?

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Don't know if this works.

On your Win 7 machine, start Regedit and go to HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services\NETBT\Parameters. Change UseNewSmb from 1 to 0.

Reboot.

See if it your Win CE devices can connect. If not, then set it back to 1.

6. hypheni

hypheni Thread Starter

Will try that after I reach office tomorrow. Why the windows default share ie: D$ is accessible but not other shares. Anyone faced similar ?

7. Lance1

Lance1

8. hypheni

hypheni Thread Starter

^^. I have both WinCE 5.0 and 6.0 devices. And your posted link is about sharing WinCE folder which is a really new thing for me. Definitely Im going to try this.

9. hypheni

hypheni Thread Starter

Well, HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services\NETBT\Parameters trick didn't work.

WinCE device is not able to show direct Win 7 computers share. Instead if I access Win 7 shared folder from WinCE like \\hostname\sharename it works. But \\hostname fails to show all shared folder.

10. Lance1

Lance1

I found this post at the MSgroups site. I copied the post and I'll past it in here. If this work for you, credit goes to Stefano at MSgroups.

11. hypheni

hypheni Thread Starter

^^ I also got this way from some other forum and tried too. But didn't work.

One thing I missed that is: I didn't reboot the machine after I modify this from secpol.msc. Will do that tomorrow and let you people know.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice