1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared Folders: Access Denied

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by klack, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klack

klack Thread Starter

I am having a problem sharing a folder on my local network.

Both PC's are using Windows XP Professional.
    Both PC's can see each other fine.
    I have simple file sharing disabled.

When I try to access the shared folder I get the following error message:

Of course, if I grant permissions to 'EVERYONE' in the security tab, I can connect to share fine.

But I don't want that, I want to be asked for a username and password when I connect to the share.

Can anyone please help? This is driving me nuts!!! I don't know what permissions I need to set to be able to bring up username and password authentication.

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi klack,

Welcome to TSG ! :)

The temporary folder \\CATHY\Temp is it located on C:\WINDOWS\Temp or C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp ?
    I'm not sure it is allowed to share system folders.

3. klack

klack Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Temp is a folder located at C:\Temp that I created. I get the same problem with any folder I make and try and share.

4. Chicon

Chicon

Ok, if you want to be asked for a username and a password, you should create a user with the same login and password on the computer of the shared folder :
    - 1° remove the sharing of the folder,
    - 2° with the user manager(you must be logged in Admin), create a new user,
    - 3° leave the Admin session then log with the new user to complete the profile,
    - 4° share the folder again with access limitation to your new user.

Edit : the user must exist on both computers.

5. klack

klack Thread Starter

I created an account with the same username that is on the computer ‘cathy’ and… it worked! Thanks for the help!!

I know this sounds like common sense, but I was under the impression that user profiles are unique, even if they have the same usernames.

Also, in the past, I’ve had a friend come over and was prompted for a username and password when accessing shares without having their username created on ‘cathy’. They just typed in the administrator password. So I’m still a little puzzled. I’ve never had to have matching account names before. Do I have some weird settings or ntfs permissions?

Also, when I share a folder from my machine 'seven', 'cathy' gets prompted for a username and password without having matching usernames.... :confused:

6. Chicon

Chicon

Sure it works ! I've already used it when I had a small network at home with 2 Windows 2000 Pro computers.
    Also, the administrator account exists on all Windows XP Pro computers and by default, it has access and full control to all files and folders. It's possible to limit the access of a folder to a specific user with the NTFS permissions. Beware, NTFS permissions and Sharing permissions are different.

You may probably be interested by a step-by-step tutorial to configure your home network and to make the sharing of ressources more safe :

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice