1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared Folders Missing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by charlywin, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlywin

charlywin Thread Starter

The situation:

Office 1 (192.168.4.X)
    1. Windows Small Business Server 2003 (SP2) (SBS 2003)
    1. Router Linksys VPN RV042 (last firmware)
    6. Desktops Windows XP Pro SP2

Office 2 (192.168.5.X)
    1. Router Linksys VPN RV042 (last firmware)
    6. Desktops Windows XP Pro SP2

Both offices VPN connected over linksys routers.
    Routers have Netbios enabled and the 12 desktops have NETBIOS/TCPIP enabled
    The windows XP firewall is enabled in all Desktops but in all cases I have enabled file and print sharing and remote desktop and remote assistance.
    WINS is running on SBS 2003
    DNS server is running on SBS 2003
    Messenger service is running on all desktops and on SBS 2003
    I can ping all machines from server and I can ping each computer from each other.

The problem:

All desktops can reach the server and they can reach each other.
    I can see all the computers in My Network places from all the computers and also I can see all the Shared Folders.

From SBS 2003 I can see all the computers from both offices but I have trouble with shared folders.

I can reach all shared folders from the Office 1 (the same LAN that the SBS 2003 is installed on) but I see the Shared Folders of ONE computer from Office 2 and I can not see the other 5 shared folders from the others 5 desktops.

I can send “net send” messages to the same computers and I cannot send it to the same computers that I can’t reach the shared folders.

I tried some solutions from many forums (registry, security policies, Authentication) but I couldn’t find a solution to my problem. Ok I can reinstall 5 desktops, but I don’t like it.

All the computers are in the same Domain (I have just one domain)

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

While this is a great place to post here and since this is a networking problem I would suggest posting in Netorking part of the forums here. There you will find some experts that are rather good at what they do. If you wish this please click the little red triangle in the top right corner of the window and ask a moderator to please move this thread to networking....

3. charlywin

charlywin Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion, i already asked about to move this post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!