1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared printer issue in domain

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cylarz, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cylarz

cylarz Thread Starter

Hi all...

I'm one of the techs working in a large Win Server 2003 domain. All our workstations use Windows XP.

In one location on the network, I've got a workstation with a local printer attached via USB. For some of the other workstations in that phyisical location, I want to be able to print to that printer.

I shared the printer on the workstation that has it, then installed that printer on the other workstations as a "shared network printer." All this of course had to be done as local Administrator.

However, when my users log in with their domain accounts, they can't see the shared printer that I set up using the administrator account.

A friend says that is just how it works in Windows XP, and that the only way around it is to buy a small print server box. Is he right? I would hate to do this since this situation is going to be replicated about 8 times in other locations on my network/domain.

Thanks...

2. kkurkowski

kkurkowski

When you add a Printer under the administrator account, the only way that it will show up for any other users that log onto that account is if the printer was local. You added a printer that was shared from another computer. So it will only show up under the profile you added it under. Which would be Administrator.

You would have to be logged in as that user to add the printer under there name.

Do they have the rights to add printers?

Can you type whats below in the run command box?

\\computer_where_the_printer_is

And then when there shared resources come up double click the printer and it will automatically add it on that profile you are logged into.

3. cylarz

cylarz Thread Starter

The issue with printer settings not showing up on other accounts as you described, is precisely the issue I'm having. What I need to find is a workaround of some kind.

The domain user accounts which need to be able to see a remote printer, are extremely limited. They belong to high school students and have minimal rights. The only way to add printers is while logged in as Administrator. Further, each workstation is shared by dozens of users throughout the day. Even if the accounts had sufficient rights to add printers, it's impractial to set up the printer over and over again for each individual user. This would be far simpler if it were an office setting where each station only has 1-2 users, but that isn't the case.

For these reasons, the solution must include the ability to set up the remote printer ONCE on each physical workstation, while logged in as Administrator...then have the setting propagate to all other accounts.

Further complicating the situation is that while all computers involved are on a Server 2003 domain, I have only local Administrator rights on any given workstation. I do not have domain Administrator rights. However, the users who log in are domain users, not local ones. I am not sure if this piece of information is relevant to the issue or not.

4. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

I think if the printer was installed as a local printer it would stay regardless what account logs in correct?
    If that is the case install the printer manually on the computer as a local printer tell it to not look for it install the correct driver for that printer and tell it that its on the LPT port.
    Now in your domain create a computer start up script (if you don't have one) and put in as a line
    ---------Command between lines---------------------------
    net use lpt \\computer_printer_is_on\printers_shared_name
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    that will then forward everything that goes to the lpt port to that printer
    if (and I assume) you have one domain or all locations you could create a group for each location and have the the script modified for each location run on computers in the group

5. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

6. cylarz

cylarz Thread Starter

I think if the printer was installed as a local printer it would stay regardless what account logs in correct?

No. The issue isn't with local printers, but remote ones. I've set up a printer on a workstation and all accounts see it. Then I share the printer. On the remote station, I configured the station to see the printer which is attached to the first station. The problem arises when domain users log into the remote station. They don't see the printer I set up there as local Administrator. The domain users cannot see the remote printer.

Now in your domain create a computer start up script (if you don't have one) and put in as a line
    ---------Command between lines---------------------------
    net use lpt \\computer_printer_is_on\printers_shared_name
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    that will then forward everything that goes to the lpt port to that printer

Can't do that. I'm not a domain administrator, just a local one. The domain admin refuses to do it for me. This same problem also exists in close to a dozen classrooms, each with 2 stations, 1 printer. He refuses to write all those scripts.

I'd be fine with just buying a print server for each classroom, attaching the USB printer to THAT, assigning an IP address, then installing the printer on each station via standard TCP/IP port.

Trouble is, the print server I tried to use doesn't want to be configured that way - it wants me to use a software utility that came with it - and further, I'm having the same problem I was before.

The problem would be licked if anyone could recommend a good print server, one that will allow me to attach a printer and then configure it on each station w/ standard TCP/IP port. Some printers on campus already can do this, but they are large office printers whose print servers are already built-in.

7. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

the only way I know of that might work is install the remote printer as if it was connected to the lpt port and the use that scrip on the local machine to forward that port to the shared printer

8. cylarz

cylarz Thread Starter

The printer is a USB model, so the lpt port wouldn't apply. Can I still do this?

Thank you for trying to help, by the way. I appreciate it.

9. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

yea you can tell it that it is on lpt that is a work around on server 2000 too

10. jmwills

jmwills

If you install the printer using the Admin Account, every user will have to install it for themselves. However, if you install the printer under the Admin Account and create a new "Local Port" for that printer, it will then show up automatically for very user.
    Of course, you will still need to set permissions.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice