1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared printer problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lenbiedron, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lenbiedron

lenbiedron Thread Starter

I have a printer attached to my W2K machine that is shared out to my home network. A laptop running XP SP2 was always able to print to the shared printer before now cannot print. I have the settings set to save the spool files on the W2K machine that has the printer direct attached so I can see what was printed and reprint if necessary.The problem is that everytime the XP machine prints, the spool shows the print entry and a status of "printed". However it does NOT print. Nor can I restart the print job. The weirdest part is that when I print a test page from the XP machine it works fine and shows a status of "printed". Does anyone have any ideas for me?
    TIA
    Len

2. DBClark

DBClark

My first guess would be the program that you are printing from. A test page verifies that the printer and computer/drivers are communicating and operating correctly.

Is it from just one program that you are trying, or multiple?

3. lenbiedron

Hello DB
    I would have thought that also but it doesn't seem to matter what program... Word, Excel, Notepad, IExplorer all have the same results... no error, it looks like it should be printing but nothing comes out of the printer. When checking the "host" machine you can see the status is printed, just as though it really had printed.
    I am stumped. You would think that if the test print worked all else would too.

4. DBClark

DBClark

If everything is printing OK on the 2K machine correctly and the XP machine, which is accessing a network printer, I would suggest deleting/unintalling the printer on the XP machine and try again. Perhaps windows set up drivers instead of using installed drivers???

5. lenbiedron

I have already uninstalled and re-installed the printer on the XP machine. It's Panasonic KX-P7100 Laser and Windows drivers do not cut it... It has duplexing.
    The only other thing I have not mentioned is that the W2k machine also has had the OS re-installed somewhere in the middle of all this. Could that be a problem? The shares and all seem to function so I don't think it could, but....?

6. DBClark

DBClark

If you re-installed the printer drivers after the OS was reinstalled then I don't know what to suggest next.

Have you already checked/obtained new drivers for the printer?

7. golddust

golddust

Are your programs (i.e. Word) marked shared?) Had similar experience until I marked MS Office Suite shared now I can send anything through and it prints. Just a thought.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... the OS re-installed somewhere in the middle of all this."

With this info, I suggest delete the printer from the XP; on the Win 2k unshare the printer, and then share it again; on the XP connect or add the printer again.

Even though file sharing works, I've discovered that mapped network drives and printer sharing are much more "sensitive" to changes. No assurance the above will help, but it should be "cheap" to try.

9. lenbiedron

Thanx to all for suggestions. I have finally solved it by uninstalling and reinstalling the print drivers (updating them also, so who knows??) on the W2K host machine. It instantly began to work again after that.
    Problem solved ..... at least until next time, huh?
    Thanx again
    Len

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/439950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice