1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared Printer problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by realitytripz, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realitytripz

realitytripz Thread Starter

Hello all. I just recently started setting up a home network, have 3 computers in the same workgroup now. I have cable broadband hooked to a Linksys-N router with 4 computers wired to it.

The computer downstairs has the HP Officejet 5510v all-in-one printer connected to it via USB. Now on my PC here, I can go to add printer--------->network Printer, or printer attatched to another--->browse for a printer-->see the computer under the workgroup--->double click to see the printer attatched to it--->then click ok and I now see the network printer icon in my Printers and faxes folder with the big check mark.

The computer downstairs with the printer is XP-Home, mine is Media Center, but that shouldn't matter anyway. Both PCs have the up to date HP Basic Feature software/drivers installed. They do have one that says No Network support, but I did not D/L that driver.

Now the PC downstairs can print fine, but when I try to do just a test print from my computer I crash. When I try to just print the web page I am looking at to see if it works, it appears to send the job to the printer, it activates, rolls a piece of paper through but it doesn't print out any data, just a blank page.

Now something odd I did notice, is that if I go to print preview for this web page here, the preview is gray, just blank so I figure this is defnitely why the job goes to the printer and it spits out that blank page.

I guess this could be a driver issue? I know printer sharing is enabled on the downstairs computer, someone help me!!!!! Please!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd try uninstalling the driver, then install it like you have the printer locally connected. You willhave to pack the printer down and connect it for the install. After the install and getting the drivers working with a local printer, put the printer back on the original machine. In the properties of the printer on the remote machine, go to the Ports tab. Create a new local port and for the port name, use the full network path to the printer, i.e. \\<computer name>\<printer name>

See if that resolves the issue.

3. realitytripz

realitytripz Thread Starter

ok thanks alot , will try it!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/690837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice